titanic im flying scene
titanic im flying scene
Paramount Pictures

“Titanic” 25th Anniversary Rerelease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It has been 25 years since we saw the R.M.S. Titanic sink on the big screen for the first time. It is now time to see the famous ship sink again.

The 1997 movie “Titanic,” directed by James Cameron, follows the story of Rose (Kate Winslet). A young woman who is a first-class passenger on the infamous R.M.S. Titanic, Rose feels constrained by her socialite status and deeply desires to be free and to get away from her fiance. Here she meets third-class passenger Jack (Leonardo DiCaprio), a traveling artist on the Titanic by a stroke of fate who is optimistic about life. Together they embark on the remarkable action-packed love story that audiences have enjoyed for decades.

When “Titanic” was first released, it was a massive success at the box office, becoming the first film to earn more than two billion dollars. “Titanic” also helped DiCaprio and Winslet become two of the world’s biggest movie stars and led the film to 11 Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. This year, “Titanic” is returning to theaters again for Valentine’s Day, starting Feb. 10.

When asked why the movie is being re-released on Valentine’s Day when it was initially released closer to Christmas, Cameron explained on SiriusXM’s The Jess Cagle Show, “Well, the date that made sense to me was Valentine’s Day, because in the original release, which was 1997 into 1998, we came out a few days before Christmas. I think it was [Dec. 19]. But the highest-grossing single day of the release was Valentine’s Day.” 

Cameron also shared that he wanted to rerelease the film for those who haven’t seen it yet. “Titanic” is a “celebration of love,” Cameron says. The Valentine’s Day rerelease is special in two ways.

In addition to the film being rereleased, it will also be shown in 3D with Cameron’s remastered version of “Titanic.” This means the movie will be in 4K high-definition resolution with an adjusted frame rate at a speed of 48 frames per second. That is twice the speed at which movie frames ordinarily move, but the remastered speed makes images more realistic.

If you have no plans for this upcoming Valentine’s Day and have three hours to fill, consider going to a local theater this holiday of love to see one of cinema’s most famous love stories again in a new way.

Sydney Kamin

American '25

Sydney is a junior at American University majoring in literature and minoring in communication. She enjoys reading books as well as watching tv shows and movies while eating any dessert food. Sydney is currently a writer for HCAU and is living in DC.