Tinder Myths Exposed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

For savvy millennials and tech users who understand the full advantages that can be garnered from media, the world is in their pocket (well, maybe not those who own the IPhone 6s). In this world lies the realm of relationships, which is a game in and of itself. Millennials can play the relationship game along-side all of their other social media apps; a game that only requires a swipe right or left! Welcome to Tinder, a site created to connect people who may be a “match” for one another. Countless stereotypes are tied to this app, so Her Campus American is here to debunk some of these preconceptions.

Myth 1: People only want to hook-up. While many users do only want a hook up, it is important to keep in mind that everyone does not fall into this category. Everyone goes on tinder with different motives. The range of males’ reasons for using tinder include the following: A) Hook up. B) Talk to girls C) Meet girls D) Lonely E) Looking for a casual relationship F) Looking for a serious relationship G) Just for fun, to see what all the hoopla is about H) No idea whatsoever.

Myth 2: Tinder users do not know how to meet people organically. People, as stated above, have plenty of motives for getting a tinder: your game may be strong, but the options may be slim. Tinder is useful for very busy people who may have limited chances to interact with the opposite sex, or for those who have not met anyone that they are romantically interested in. Tinder offers a platform to connect with people from all over, and provides the opportunity for users to initiate a conversation or a meetup.

Myth 3: Making friends is impossible. Research confirms countless stories of people making friends, sometimes life-long friends, from the app. From my experience, I would feel comfortable visiting a Tinder friend if I was in their neck of the woods.Tinder provides more than just an opportunity for meaningless hookups or relationships; it allows people to develop friendships that transcend borders.

Myth 4: Tinder is superficial. Keep in mind, Tinder is not so different than meeting someone at a bar. You base approaching someone off of initial appearance and presence, which is generally followed by a cheesy pick-up line of some sort. Tinder has a similar approach, but unlike bars, there is the opportunity to express different sides of your personality with multiple pictures and a bio.

Now, we are left with the question: if you are looking for a relationship, can you find it on Tinder? Well, that is up to you to find out for yourself; but, with two million users, anything is possible. This is especially true because of Tinder’s unique settings that produce a mutual connection; as Sean Rad, one of the founders of Tinder, once said: “No matter who you are, you feel more comfortable approaching somebody if you know they want you to approach them”.

Photo credit: 1,2, 3