Culture > News

“This disgrace of administration has failed again”: Students protest AU’s response to the war in the Middle East

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Students gathered around the quad on Friday, Jan. 26, in support of Palestine and against the American University administration’s response to the ongoing war in the Middle East. 

The walkout, which started on the quad and made its way to President Sylvia Burwell’s office, happened one day after the university announced its new course of action concerning student activism on campus.

The new measures are an effort to foster what the university called a “sense of belonging” at AU following recent antisemitic events on campus, according to an email that outlined the plan. 

“Recent events and incidents on campus have made Jewish students feel unsafe and unwelcome,” read the email from Burwell. “The events and their effects on students are unacceptable. They show a need for clear actions to support a sense of belonging across our community at a time of great concern and uncertainty.” 

As part of this initiative, the university will no longer allow students to protest inside university buildings. “This will ensure that protests do not disrupt university activity, including classes and events,” Burwell said in the email. 

The school also established new rules for posters on campus, limiting them to event announcements and logistics. 

“In an institution that boasts about championing what matters, it’s disheartening to see the censorship of our allies, supporters, and advocates for Palestine,” a first-year student at the American University Washington College of Law said while addressing the crowd. 

“While we may be unable to use our voices inside of AU’s building, we sure can use it out here.”

Much of the criticism against Burwell’s email on “supporting a sense of belonging” stems from what some students allege is a failure to address instances of Islamophobia and anti-Palestinian sentiment on campus. This is not the first time that students demand greater action from Burwell’s administration to foster a safe space for members of the Palestinian community at AU, as reported by The Eagle on Nov. 6, 2023.

“The antisemitism on campus is terrible and should not happen. But it’s crucial not to overlook the escalating discrimination, prejudice and xenophobia against us as well,” the student added.

A member of the Jewish Voice for Peace at AU, also commented on the administration’s email, stating that it “made no effort to recognize the hostile environment experienced by Palestinian and Muslim students on campus.”

“I want to reiterate that speaking out against an apartheid regime is not antisemitic. Boycotting a colonial power is not antisemitic, protesting a genocide and standing by our Palestinian brothers and sisters is not antisemitic,” the speaker said to the crowd of students. 

A wave of around 300 people followed protest organizers to Burwell’s office, where two students left a letter on the doorstep demanding the administration to better protect Palestinian and Muslim students.

“This disgrace of administration has failed again to acknowledge the cost and suffering of Palestinian students throughout the past few months,” a member of the American University Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) said to the protestors standing in front of the president’s office. 

During the walkout, students also demanded that the university end its academic partnership with Tel Aviv University.

“AU is continuing its academic program with Tel Aviv University despite the ongoing genocide perpetuated by the Israeli government and the destruction of every remaining University in Gaza,” a student outside of Burwell’s office protested.

In conversation with a senior at the School of International Service who attended the walkout, she called AU’s new measures on student activism a “pure attack on coalition building.”

“But I don’t think that it’s going to work, because the coalition is already really strong. All of these organizations are in communication,” she added. 

Indeed, the walkout brought together members from different student organizations on campus, including the Black Student Union and Jewish Voice for Peace. 

“In the face of adversity, I as a black woman refuse to be a passive observer. I refuse to let my Palestinian sisters endure violence and oppression,” a member of AU’s Black Student Union said.

The walkout ended on the front steps of AU’s School of Public Affairs, where organizers led “Free Palestine” and “Ceasefire now” chants while holding a sign that read “The students united will never be defeated.”

In a statement released this morning, SJP at AU condemned Burwell’s recent email, calling on AU’s administration to “stop silencing pro-Palestine voices, to denounce anti-Palestinian racism, and to uphold its responsibility of providing ALL AU students with a safe, secure learning environment and community.”

Lori Rampani

American '24

Lori Rampani (she/her) is a junior majoring in International Studies, with a minor in Spanish. Born in Florida, but raised in São Paulo, Brazil, Lori is currently interning at The Pavlovic Today, where she dedicates herself to independent-journalism and politics. In her free time, Lori enjoys going to the beach, spending time with her friends and family, writing, reading, and listening to Lady Gaga.