Things to do to lean into the fall season around the DMV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Whether you’re looking for something to do this upcoming Halloweekend or just get into the fall mood, here is a list of spooky events happening in the DMV area!

1. Mexican Cultural Institute’s opening celebration of the Day of the Dead – Saturday, Oct. 28, 12 – 4 p.m. (Free)

See the unveiling of the Mexican Cultural Institute’s traditional altar to kick off the Day of the Dead celebrations in the District. The Day of the Dead — or Día de los Muertos— is a Mexican celebration where people remember and celebrate the deceased that usually takes place from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2. Enjoy live piano music as well as traditional Mexican sweet bread called pan de muerto from DMV-based catering service Cocolita.

1. Lost City Books Fright Fête – Saturday, Oct. 28, 7 p.m. ($35)

If you like books and supporting local businesses, the Lost City Books Fright Fête is for you! The $35 ticket includes one drink ticket and entry into the party, where you can listen to District-based musicians, watch the Halloween costume contest and shop for spooky books.

1. District Tattoo Flash Tattoo Event – Tuesday, Oct. 31, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. ($100 for lined, $150 for shaded)

Visit District Tattoo for their second annual Halloween Flash Event, offering 40 new spooky tattoo designs at a discounted price. This event is first come, first served, and if you’re looking to get one of these tattoos, you must go in person and write your name on the list, and they will call or text you when it is your turn to get inked. 

1. The Wonderland Halloween Party – Tuesday, Oct. 31, 9:30 p.m. (Free)

Are you looking for a free Halloween party? The Wonderland Ballroom is throwing its Halloween party above its restaurant and bar, featuring a local DJ. The Wonderland offers a variety of drinks, traditional pub food and an excellent vegan menu sure to appeal to anyone.

1. Adams Morgan Fall Porchfest – Saturday, Nov. 4, 2 – 6 p.m.

Adams Morgan will shut down 18th Street from Columbia to Kalorama Roads NW to host this fun outdoor event. Walk down the street to see a variety of musical performances from around 100 bands. There will be two main stages: the Plaza Main Stage in front of Truist Bank and the Aetna Main Stage in Hoffman Alley next to Van Leeuwen Ice Cream.

Sophia Rocha

American '25

Sophia is a Brazilian-American junior at American University majoring in international studies and minoring in Spanish and marketing. Her interests include social media, journalism, and the Latinx community. Outside of school and work, she likes to read in her free time.