Themed Dinners Have Become the New TikTok Trend and We’re Here for it

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As coronavirus has spread across the United States, it has caused an increase in TikToks being filmed. Many of these TikToks are being created out of boredom, including content such as dressmaking, new dances, how-to videos and the biggest trend, themed dinner nights.

Themed dinners have become a major trend on TikTok since many people are stuck at home and need to spice up their nights. Themed dinners can be designed in many different ways, but here are some basic ways to get you involved in the new trend.

Gif of Michelle from Full House eating a plate of spaghetti
Giphy

Mexican Fiesta Dinner

For those nights you are craving some good tacos, gorditas, tamales or burritos, a Mexican fiesta will be the dinner for you. To add some authenticity to your kitchen, add pops of bright colors and put on your favorite sombrero– don’t forget the beans and rice!

Hooters/Pub Dinner

My personal favorite I’ve seen on TikTok is a Hooters night. This night shall include chicken wings, onion rings and fries. Get your tight t-shirts ready with some fun dancing music in the background and some sports reruns.

Tropical/ Hawaiian Dinner

This tropical evening shall include coconuts to drink from, Hawaiian shirts and possibly some leis. For dinner, you could have pineapple with some shrimp or even some pineapple chicken tacos.

Hibachi Dinner

Everyone loves a great night out for hibachi, but since that isn’t possible it is time to pull out the griddle and throw some shrimp, your favorite meat, vegetables and rice on. Don’t forget to add all the tricks to make it more authentic such as the fake mustard bottle, onion train, beating heart of rice or fake egg in the hat.

Celebrity Dinner

Tonight is your night to look like your favorite celebrity whether you want to be as bougie as a Kardashian or as simple as Selena Gomez. Have your best selections of meat prepared for this several course meal so you dine like a star, maybe even use your nicest dishes and add some reserved cards for a more classy effect.

TV Show Dinner

Get ready to be your favorite TV show character and have your favorite foods from your favorite shows. Time to make Monica from Friends’ famous lasagna and Kevin from The Office’s famous chili. You can have your favorite shows running in the background with a more modern dinner.

Family eating dinner
Photo by Jaco Pretorius on Unsplash

While there are hundreds of possible themed dinners you can do during this quarantine, make them fun for you and your family. If you can’t go to the restaurant you most desire, bring the restaurant to you.

Gianna is currently a senior at American University in Washington, D.C., and is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at American University. Gianna enjoys writing about Women's Advocacy, Politics and Pop Culture. She also loves to travel and find hole-in-the-wall restaurants in D.C.