Ten Things Every Female Football Fan is Tired of Hearing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Being a female fan in a male dominated sport, like football, is always tough. The guys don’t think we can keep up, you’re expected to just provide the snacks and any sign of actual athletic intelligence is surprising and unheard of. Yet women have an evergrowing precnese in the sports fan world. Here is what we female football fans are forced to hear way too often:

1. Wait, you like football?

Yes. Yes I do. Chances are I like it more than some of the guys you’re friends with.

2. Do you like that team because your boyfriend does?

Nope. I can pick my own teams out, thank you very much.

3. You have no idea what you’re talking about! (In a condescending tone)

When said like this it’s just because they assume we know nothing. They look at you with that smirk as if they’re going to drop some knowledge in a minute.

4. When will the nachos be ready?

I don’t know. When are you getting up to make them?

5. So how cute is Tom Brady?

Well he didn’t really help any fantasy teams out in the beginning of the year. It’s okay though, I drafted Matt Ryan.

6. What do you mean you want my extra ticket to the game next weekend?

My favorite team verses our division rival…why wouldn’t I want to go? Now can I have the ticket?

7. You have no idea what you’re talking about! (In an argumentative tone)

He threw five touchdown passes in 16:03. I’m not saying I love the guy, but you have to give him props. Our offensive line is looking better this year too – have you seen the difference in sacks between this year and last year?

8. Stop yelling at the TV so loud!

Is it a problem I’m more spirited than you? Guess you should start bringing the ruckus, friend.

9. How do you know so much?

Been watching the sport since the same year as my favorite team was formed (fun coincidence). How many people can say that? Plus, if I was a fair weather fan, I definitely would not have made it past last season. Same record as the cowboys?! Clearly it was a bad year.

10. So, do you want to join my fantasy league next year?

Sure thing. Just don’t be surprised when I win.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

DMV born and raised (and I do NOT mean the department of motor vehicles!). I'm a sarcasm afficiando and future owner of the Baltimore Ravens. Or the world. I'm always interested in government, politics, business, and sports. Entrepreneurship major, sports administration minor, graduating in 2018.