Taylor Swift folklore
Taylor Swift folklore
Republic
Culture > News

Taylor Swift Defends Herself Against Sexist Commentary. Again.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On Monday, Taylor Swift tweeted at the new Netflix show Ginny & Georgia about a sexist joke that was made about her. They say, “What do you care? You go through men faster than Taylor Swift.” 

Swift criticized the commentary tweeting, “Hey Ginny & Georgia, 2010 called and it wants its lazy, deeply sexist joke back. How about we stop degrading hard working women by defining this horse shit as FuNnY. Also, @netflix after Miss Americana this outfit doesn’t look cute on you ? Happy Women’s History Month I guess” 

Sexist comments like these have been made about Swift throughout her entire music career. She’s been told she’s had too many boyfriends, or that she writes about her exes too often, when none of her male counterparts are criticized the same. 

Swift channeled her emotions of sexist commentary into her songs like “Shake it off” and more specifically,  “The Man.” Airing the double standard that is ever present in not only her music but in her love life as well. She sings, “I’m so sick of running as fast I can. Wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man?” And then continues with, “And I’m so sick of them coming at me again, ‘cause if I was a man, then I’d be the man.”

Music Video Screenshot: Taylor Swift giving her male counterpart advice
UMG

Using social media as a platform to recognize this commentary used in Ginny & Georgia is nothing new. It’s happened for as long as I have listened to her music (which is practically my entire life) and it didn’t start with Taylor Swift. These comments aren’t anything new and it’s still not funny. 

Swift goes on to further @netflix because in early 2020 Netflix released its own documentary film about Taylor Swift titled Miss Americana, which she mentions in the tweet. The movie has been applauded for its raw take on Swift and her struggles with stardom, including her eating disorder. Swift airs her disappointment that a platform like netflix, that was so willing to support her was also willing to degrade her just as quickly. 

In an interview with Vogue Magazine in 2019 Swift talked about how she went from being a young girl in the eyes of those to a music industry to an adult woman who was more assertive and successful. She said as soon as that changed, she saw firsthand just how brutal people could be. Tearing her music apart. Luckily for all of us swifties that has not stopped her, and she continues to make music that inspires young women. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Photos: Her Campus Media

Allesandra is a senior at American University majoring in Journalism with a minor in Legal Studies. She is the Vice President of Her Campus at American University. She enjoys writing on Woman's Health Care, Politics and Student Advocacy. She loves to travel and read; She recommends "The Alchemist." Her pronouns are She/Her/Hers.