taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

Taylor Swift Announces New Album “The Tortured Poets Department”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

At the 66th annual Grammy Awards this past Sunday, Feb. 4, Taylor Swift won her 13th Grammy for her album “Midnights”. Taylor accepted the Grammy for Album of The Year, breaking the record for most Album of The Year wins in Grammy history.

Taylor Swift fans, also known as Swifties, were anticipating the announcement of Reputation (Taylor’s Version). Swift has been re-recording all of her albums in the name of ownership of her music. Swift has re – recorded “Fearless” “Red” “Speak Now” and “1989”. These four albums as well as “Reputation” and “Taylor Swift” are the albums she wanted to gain ownership of. Swifties were anticipating an announcement to come out of the Grammys, but expectations and theories were based around Reputation (Taylor’s Version).

While accepting her Grammy, Swift noted that it was her 13th Grammy saying, “It’s my lucky number, I don’t know if I’ve ever told you that.” Fans watching across the country know Taylor for leaving “easter eggs” about her releases and big announcements, and “Midnights” winning her 13th Grammy for Album Of The Year was immediately a green flag to fans watching. 

In her acceptance speech, Taylor thanked the recording academy, but gave a special thanks to her fans. 

“I want to say thank you to the fans by telling you a secret that I’ve been keeping from you for the last two years, which is that my brand new album comes out April 19th,” Swift said. 

Swift then went to Instagram to post the album cover for “The Tortured Poets Department,” her 11th studio Album.

On Monday Feb. 5, Swift posted the tracklist to “The Tortured Poets Department”. There are two other artists featured on the album. Post Malone, best known for his Hip Hop tracks, is featured in “fortnight”. Florence and The Machine,  British indie rock band, is also featured in a track entitled “Florida!!!” 

Fans are now speculating what “The Tortured Poets Department” will sound like. There are endless theories circling the internet right now. Some fans think “The Tortured Poets Department” will be a synth pop album, as Swift is known for dabbling in different genres of music. Other fans are expecting an album that matches the slow folk style reminiscent of “folklore.”

Isabella is a Sophomore Journalism Major and Art History Minor at American University. Isabella is interested in DC lifestyle and culture, art, and pop culture. Isabella is currently a contributing writer for HCAU. Isabella is living in Washington DC.