Life > Academics

Take Care: How to Take Care of Yourself This Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As finals season approaches, many thoughts are circling through American University students’ brains. A group project on Monday, two exams on Tuesday, work on Wednesday, another presentation on Thursday and an early morning flight home on Friday. During the next week of endless hours in the library, last minute group meetings and the dread or excitement of going home, here are some things you can do to preserve your peace this finals season. 

#1 Drink your Morning Coffee in the morning

As fun as it is to stay up in Bender Library all night with a venti sugar cookie latte by your side, place a priority on going to bed early and waking up early this finals season. According to the Sleep Foundation, it is crucial to avoid caffeine eight hours before you plan to go to sleep. Getting a good night’s sleep is mandatory to productivity during the day. What good does studying all night do if you sleep through your alarms and are late to your final? 

#2 A clean Dorm is a happy dorm

My productivity levels are higher when my living space is neat and organized. To make sure that my room is a clean and relaxing space for me to spend my nights finishing up assignments and unwind, I do both a Sunday reset and a Wednesday reset. By taking time in my day to clean my room, even after a stressful final lecture, studying for exams all day or writing a ten page paper, I know I have a place that I can call home and unwind. 

#3 Meal Plans have your back

To make sure you have energy to excel this finals season, it is important to fuel yourself (No, not energy from a can of Redbull). Living on campus, it is so easy to order ahead and grab a meal at Panera, stop in to TDR with friends or grab a bite at the Bridge in between study sessions. This finals season, to make sure you are getting the optimal amount of energy everyday, don’t forget to use up those meal swipes. 

#4 plan ahead

If you are a Notion lover, a Gcal girly, or an old-fashioned pen and paper planner fan, bring out those gel pens and highlighters and outline your week ahead. By planning out all the assignments and study hours you need to get done, the week can move by much quicker, and you will ensure you won’t accidentally skip anything. I have found it most beneficial to plan my whole week out on Sunday and then add things to the week as it moves along. However you plan, write it all down.

#5 Take Time for yourself

As stressful as finals can be, remember that you are doing the best you can. Take time out of your busy day to do things that bring you joy, whether it is a simple walk around campus with your best friend, moving your body by stretching or whatever workout you enjoy, watching an episode of your favorite show or taking a break from studying to paint your nails. It is important to bring joy to your life in the upcoming week.

Isabella is a Sophomore Journalism Major and Art History Minor at American University. Isabella is interested in DC lifestyle and culture, art, and pop culture. Isabella is currently a contributing writer for HCAU. Isabella is living in Washington DC.