Study Abroad Blog: A Muggle’s Adventure to Hogwarts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

What does a student studying abroad in London do on a weekend?  Well, I could go to Paris or Brussels, Buckingham Palace or Oxford but I decided to join two friends on the Harry Potter Warner Brothers Studio Tour.  Well my fellow muggles, that is exactly what I did and it didn’t disappoint!

The weather was Harry Potter perfect for the adventure, a foggy Sunday morning.  As Sydney, Izzy and I made our way to train platform 9 ¾ and boarded the Hogwarts Express to Waterford Junction (just kidding), the twenty-five minute train ride felt endless we anxiously waited to arrive.  As the train pulled into the station, a double decker bus dressed in Harry Potter finery, to take us to the studio, greeted us.           

The 20-minute ride with a bus full of fanatical Harry Potter aficionados, wearing Gryffindor scarves was entertaining to say the least. 

As Sydney, Izzy and I entered the studio and were greeted by Dum da da dum da da dum dum da da dum dum, we knew it was official. 

After a short film about the Harry Potter movies and the evolution of its characters, the screen disappeared into the ceiling revealing the infamous doors to the great hall! The doors opened and there it was, but not the massive structure depicted in the movies.  It is approximately 1/3 of the size, but still mesmerizing despite the lack of floating candles. 

Moving into the larger soundstage was like hitting the Harry Potter jackpot! Hagred’s house, Dumbledor’s office and the Gryffindor boys’ dormitory were all on display.  Saying it was surreal is a complete understatement!  However, the sets seen on the soundstage are quite different than the actual depiction in the film series. Everything is so much smaller than how it appears on the big screen!  

The best part of the day was the photo op in the flying car…. 

and the butter beer….. 

After walking through Diagon Alley, passing Olivander’s Wand Shop and Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, we reached Hogwarts.  In each and every one of the movies, Hogwarts seems gargantuan in size.  Sadly, this was not the case. Hogwarts is about the size of a classroom at AU, but the details are extraordinary! 

Although the experience was completely and utterly magical, there is something to be said about keeping the magic a secret, away from the harsh reality of a soundstage.   

Until my next adventure, muggles!

XOXO