Staying Sniffle-Free During Cold and Flu Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Eagle’s Nest is running low on soup, and health center appointments are booking up fast. It’s beginning to look a lot like cold and flu season! Because college students live and learn together in such close quarters, illness doesn’t take long to get passed around. But before you go finding yourself a sterile bubble to live in, we’ve got some tips to stay on your A-game all winter long.

1. Pour It Up

Your body needs water just as much in the winter as it does in the summer, but you may not realize you’re thirsty when it’s chilly out. Staying hydrated is key to staying healthy, so set a goal to drink eight glasses of water a day. Why not invest in a cute new bottle or tumbler as an incentive? 

2. Get Your Shots

Seriously. If you haven’t gotten a flu shot already, please make your way over to the health center or CVS immediately and get vaccinated. Like, now. And don’t touch anything or anyone until you do. 

3. Taste the Rainbow

Has your dinner has been looking a little beige lately? It’s understandable–bread is delicious. But add some color to your plate! Fruits and vegetables are chock full of vitamins you need to prevent illness. Snack on some broccoli, oranges, and bell peppers for your daily dose of vitamin C. If veggies really aren’t your thing, take a multivitamin instead.

4) Rub-a-Dub

Your mom was right: washing your hands always helps you stay healthy. During cold and flu season, it’s even more important. Many doctors say after getting vaccinated, handwashing is the best way to prevent the flu. Old-fashioned soap and water is your best bet, but it never hurts to carry around hand sanitizer. 

5. Sleep Tight

“Oh my gosh, I have three papers and four meetings and two parties to go to and my laundry’s not done and–” STOP! We’ve all sounded like this at one point or another, but too much stress and too little sleep can catch up with you during cold and flu season. Swear off all-nighters, download Self Control…do what you need to ensure you stick to a proper bedtime. You need eight hours of shut-eye each night to function at your best. And Red Bull is not a substitute. 

(Photo credits: health.com, amazon.com, thinksmarterworld.com, blog.famousfootwear.com, huffingtonpost.com, emaratiya.com)

Julia Reinstein is a junior at American University. She is studying journalism and hopes to one day write for a magazine. When she isn't writing, she keeps busy as a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and student body Vice President. Her goals include traveling to Iceland, participating in a flashmob, meeting Hillary Clinton, and owning a mahogany spice rack. She passionately believes in the Oxford comma.