This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

If you are not one of the lucky gals heading towards the salt and the sand for Spring Break, it is okay! You can still have tons a fun here in and around the District! Below are some fantastic tips and ideas to make your Spring Break a week of fun and relaxation. 

First thing first, get off campus! DO IT. We live in such an incredible area that is constantly bustling with different activities, all you have to do is get off campus. Even if you do not have a particular event in mind, there is so much to explore in D.C. This is a prime opportunity to become more familiar with Hidden Gems in the District, like the Albert Einstein Memorial, and get to know the side of D.C. that the tourists don’t even know about! Sound like fun? Here is a list of some local acclaimed eateries that are known to be…well, less than welcoming to tourists, but favored by locals.

Treasuring spots that are known for their local appeal, doesn’t make the classic D.C. attarctions any less valuable. The National Zoo often has events, and it is a great place to walk around in the sunshine, and see all of the animals! However, in the unfortunate event that the weather is poor, check out the Smithsonian museums. Admission is always free, and there are several museums to choose from. Perfect for a rainy spring day!

Looking to get out of D.C.? There are several awesome options for day trips with friends. If you want to stay close by, check out Great Falls Park. Great Falls is a beautiful place to spend the day hiking and picnicking with friends. Additionally, check out this list of the 25 Best Day Trips from Washington, DC. If you are looking for more traditional Spring Break activities nearby, there are some good places where you and your friends can soak up the sun (don’t forget the sunscreen!) and play in the water. Here is a list of the closest beaches to our nation’s capital. Known more for sailing, Annapolis and the surrounding Chesapeake Bay area are beautiful places to explore, and it’s not hard to find somewhere to rent a daysailer.

There are so many fun things to do in Washington, DC besides visiting the museums and national monuments! So don’t be bummed that you are sticking around town. From day trips to local hidden gems there is an activity for everyone. Hey! Why not make a list of all the things you would like to do, and see you many you can cross off during Spring Break? Sounds like the perfect challenge for you and your friends to conquer together! Have a happy, safe, and relaxing Spring Break! 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4