Sophia Wirth ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Ever wanted to know more about what the American University Student Government does? We talked with Student Government Presidential Candiate Sophia Wirth about her current role as Executive Director of Communications and Marketing and her platform this upcoming election. Be sure to vote on your portal under Life @ AU starting Tuesday at 9:00am until Wednesday at 5:00pm.

1) Introduce yourself (hometown, major, etc.),

I was born in Salzburg, Austria, and spent my younger years in Europe, before moving to a small, suburban town outside of Boston. I have a younger sister named Elise, a dog named Fritz, and a bird named Herbie. I’m a Political Science major with a minor in Communications.

2) What are your day-to-day duties as Executive Director of Communications and Marketing in Student Government?

My day-to-day duties include overseeing and facilitating all organizational marketing efforts, such as graphic and poster creation, as well as outreach events. I also oversee AUSG’s social media, and coordinate communications for all advocacy initiatives.

3) What has been the most rewarding part of your role in Student Government?

Definitely collaborating with students outside of SG to work on advocacy issues. I played an active role in the Student Rights campaign, and currently sit on the Financial Aid Task Force. It’s been an honor to work on these initiatives and then see the tangible results of what SG can accomplish when it really focuses on the important things.

4) You’re running for Student Government President. Why did you decide to run for this position?

Having worked actively on advocacy issues across campus for the last year and a half, I saw running for President as a way to motivate and inspire students who share a common vision. There are a lot of critical issues on this campus, many of which we as a community have been wary of tackling. I think it’s time for us to come together and embrace the power of our collective goals and action.

5) What issues are your top priorities and how do you plan to tackle them?

The University budget, sexual assault prevention & awareness, and fossil duel divestment are all my top priorities for the next year. I’m advocating for a budget overhaul, which includes an administrator pay freeze, increased financial aid, and keeping tuition as low as possible. I’m planning to continue my work on sexual assault awareness and prevention efforts by building a student/faculty coalition of people willing to stand up to the administration to demand mandatory preventative education. I also look forward to aiding Fossil Free AU in convincing the Board of Trustees to divest, and then invest in clean energy. To me, this is an absolute moral imperative, and I can’t wait to continue being a part of the fight.

6) If you could work with any politician, who would it be and why?

Most of my friends tell me I was born in the wrong generation, so I’m going to go ahead and pick somebody who is no longer living, Robert F. Kennedy. Aside from being a massive Kennedy fan, I truly feel that Bobby Kennedy embodied the perfect harmony of gentleness and strength, something not easily found in the political realm today. Though he was tough when he needed to be, he understood the value of being calm and considerate as well. Those who possess both traits seem to be the most effective leaders, and I endeavor to model my actions after his.

Favorite class at American so far: Individual Freedom vs. Authority

Favorite spot in Washington: National Gallery of Art (Impressionist painters section)

Biggest Pet Peeve: When people chew on ice.

Random Fact: I’m an avid badminton player!

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.