Culture > News

The Silver Linings of the Abrupt End to My Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It started as an email from Sylvia Burwell on Tuesday, March 10th. 

“Following spring break, American University will shift to online classes for three weeks.”

I was on my way to the airport to catch a flight to New Orleans. I was excited to receive an extra three weeks of spring break. I would be able to see all of my friends for the final weeks of my senior year. My sorority formal, senior events, and graduation were all still happening, so I remained positive.

In the airport coming back to New Orleans on Friday, I received one of the first emails that would permanently change my life.

“The previously announced transition to online class beginning on Wednesday, March 18th will now continue through the end of the spring semester.”

After this initial email, the changes started to roll in. My jobs were all closed or cancelled. I was terminated from my internship. My interview for a summer internship was postponed indefinitely. When I landed in DC, the emotions and tears came uncontrollably. 

Although everything else in my life had been cancelled, American University only cancelled on-campus events until May 5th. With graduation on May 10th, I still had hope that all this uncertainty would be over in time for the ceremony to occur. I went home, spent time with my family, and tried to go on walks every day to clear my head and look forward to the future.

woman in black dress stands outside in front of a fence holding her graduation cap
TinTin12 | Pixabay
Almost three weeks after the initial email, I received one that hit me the hardest. 

“It pains me to announce that due to the ongoing challenge of COVID-19, the May 2020 Spring Commencement ceremonies, including for the Washington College of Law (WCL), will be conducted online.”

The only thing I had to possibly look forward to, gone. As if this month didn’t create enough life disruptions, my abrupt end of college will not be celebrated in person until December. Seven months later. I won’t get to take photos with my friends in our cap and gowns at the Lincoln Memorial Steps. I won’t be able to celebrate my accomplishment with my family and friends either.

At times like these, it’s very easy to focus on the negatives and the unknown of what tomorrow will bring. 

All we can do as seniors is look back on the great times we had together in our final weeks, even if we didn’t know they would be. My four years of college were unforgettable. I have formed so many lasting friendships with people I never thought I’d meet. I went from being a Division One athlete for two years, to traveling Europe during my semester abroad, to even joining a sorority my junior year. Her Campus has brought me an amazing group of women that I continue to look up to and learn from. Choosing to study and grow as an adult in D.C. was one of the best decisions I ever made.

So, despite our cancelled traditional graduation, we will receive the recognition for our hard work and dedication. We will continue to stay in contact with our lifelong friends we have made. And we will continue to look back on our journey and all of the wonderful lessons we got out of American University. 

Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.