Chick Peas
Chick Peas
Christin Urso / Spoon

Side Dishes to Make with TastyBite’s Channa Masala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

TastyBite’s organic, vegan and gluten-free Channa Masala is a classic and favorite recipe in most Indian restaurants. Chickpeas are slow-simmered with onions, tomatoes and aromatic spices. Channa Masala can be enjoyed on its own, or you can try one of our side dish recommendations below!

On its own with Naan!

Pita
Christin Urso / Spoon

Channa Masala can be enjoyed as a hearty dish on its own, but it’s even better enjoyed with Naan on the side. Try Trader Joe’s frozen Tandoori Naan, or if you’re feeling spicy, make your own!

As a side dish with Molasses Mustard Chicken

Chicken Thighs
Christin Urso / Spoon

This honey molasses baked chicken recipe is sweet, savory, crispy and delicious, perfect to pair with TastyBite’s Channa Masala. And, you can make this dish in under an hour. View the recipe here.

With Fried Cumin Tortillas

Fried Cumin Tortilla

Ingredients:

• 2 packages of whole wheat tortillas
  • Olive oil
  • Ground cumin
  • Ground coriander

Directions:

1. Brush a cast-iron frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  2. Add ¼ teaspoon of each cumin and coriander.
  3. When the pan is hot, add tortilla and fry until golden brown.
  4. Flip over and fry the other side.
  5. Repeat for the rest.
  6. Cut into wedges and serve around a small bowl of raita (recipe follows).

Alongside Cucumber Raita

Cucumber Slice
Alex Frank / Spoon

Cucumber Raita

Ingredients:

• ½ cup grated cucumber
  • ¾ cup plain yogurt
  • ¼ tablespoon ground cumin
  • ½ tablespoon cane sugar
  • Salt

Directions:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
  2. Stir well.
  3. Adjust the sugar and salt to your liking. 

Accompany with Turmeric-Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower

This recipe takes longer to make, but each step is simple and the result is delicious! View the recipe here.

(She/Her/Hers) Sophie is a senior at American University in Washington, DC majoring in Public Relations & Strategic Communication with minors in Graphic Design and Marketing. Currently, Sophie serves as the Graphic Design and Communications Intern for AU's Office of Sustainability, and as a freelance designer. ​In her free time, she likes to go on hikes, discover new music, explore DC, travel, take photos, spend time with her family, doodle, hang out with her friends, and focus on personal health and well-being.