Seth Coggeshall ’17: Lead Singer of His Dream of Lions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Seth, 20, is a sophomore transfer student at American University from Great Falls, Va. He’s currently a computer science major and also lead singer and a guitarist to alternative rock quintet His Dream of Lions.

Follow His Dream of Lions: Facebook / Twitter / Instagram

Her Campus American University: Tell me about yourself.

Seth Coggeshall: I was born in Hong Kong, then I lived in Seattle for 11 years, which is where I developed my really strong passion for music. I then moved to Virginia and played with a lot of different people, mostly metal bands. I picked going to American University so that I could keep up with my band in Virginia.

HCAU:  What genre would you consider His Dream of Lions? And who are your musical inspirations?

SC: I would consider us a rock band, but more specifically an alternative rock band. We take influence from a lot of mainstream early 2000s bands like Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Paramore, and My Chemical Romance. I wouldn’t have gotten into music without The Black Parade [My Chemical Romance]. I learned how to play guitar from those songs and learned the structure of pop song writing from listening to their music.

HCAU: When did you know that you wanted to sing? Or that you could?

SC: Right when I was about to move away from Seattle was when I started playing around with the idea of singing. I had been in bands where other people were singing and didn’t always think it was good so I tried it out myself. And it wasn’t that good, but it got better.

Watch this His Dream of Lions cover of Lana Del Ray’s “National Anthem”

HCAU: Is singing something that you can see yourself doing forever or a side to being a computer scientist?

SC: I mean I’ll do it as long as my vocal chords are permitting. Basically until I get that old man voice. It’s just something that I love to do and it’ll always be that way, I think.

HCAU: Where can people find your music or watch your band play?

SC: You can find our music on YouTube, iTunes or on Spotify. We mostly have shows in D.C. right now. We don’t have all the details hashed out, but this summer, we’re going on tour, so if you’re on the East Coast or Midwest, we’ll be coming to a city near you.

HCAU: What’s your favorite moment with your band so far?

SC: When we were on the radio for the first time. Our song “Novel” was being played all over the country and when we got reports back on how well we were doing, that was pretty awesome.

HCAU: Is your favorite possession your blue beanie that you wear every day?

SC: Yes, it is! But I do wash it, consistently! It’s my life saver to keep my hair from being an afro.

HCAU: Tell me three things you can’t live without.

SC: Energy Vitamin Water, my hat, and… probably, air.

HCAU: Last one, what’s your favorite song on your iPod right now?

SC: “Millions” off of the new Gerard Way album.

Members of His Dream of Lions:

Seth Coggeshall- Guitar/Vocals

Blair Kilner – Bass

Colby Witko – Keys/Vocals

Jack Dunigan – Druma

Nick Jones – Guitar

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3