Scratch DC: Breaking Out Your Take-Out Habit

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We’re well into the semester now and if you’re still holding onto that meal plan (or looking for swipe donors) kudos. Luckily, we can use our meal plans all over campus now! But if you’re anything like me and looking for something new to eat as often as the weather changes in DC, you’re probably bored already and running out of Eaglebucks from all the same takeout every week. A couple of you are probably haunted by the time you decided you’d finally had enough and shelled out $50 at Whole Foods or Dean and DeLuca to finally make the meal you’ve been dreaming about only to realize 1) you’ll never use the ingredients again 2) you have no place to put them or the leftovers or 3) you didn’t have some obscure kitchen utensil you needed and ended up browsing GrubHub.

It’s frustrating but fortunately, you don’t have to compromise your great taste or love of cooking just because you’re here at AU. Whether you just got here, have been here or you’re just tired, hungry and busy, thanks to gourmet food delivery start-up scratchDC, you can still have healthy, home-cooked meals on a time crunch and budget. Founded by Kogod alum Ryan Hansan, scratchDC takes care of all your prep work – grocery shopping, chopping, measuring and marinating – and delivers the perfect measured ingredients with an easy-to-follow recipe to your door just in time for dinner. No random kitchen utensils necessary!

Inspired by his mom’s home cooking and his personal frustration in the Anderson kitchens, Hansan founded scratchDC about a year ago in the hopes of making amazing meals easy. Order online from the week’s menu, choose your time and have a gourmet meal like Hazelnut-Crusted Tilapia on your table in under 30 minutes.

Takeout sounding less tempting yet? Check out @scratchDC on Instagram, and order at scratchDC.com. Get a discount off your first purchase by using the code HERCAMPUS to start cooking today!

Article By Titi Mesgna

Colleen V. Antonio is a student at American University in Washington DC. She is majoring in Public Communication with minors in Marketing. She is a member of the sorority, Phi Sigma Sigma. Currently, Colleen writes and is President for HerCampus American, which combines her interests in fashion, food, and entertainment in the local DMV area. One day she hopes to find a job with all these interests that will enable her to travel around the world. During her free time, Colleen enjoys exploring the city whether it is heading to listen to an underground band at Black Cat with her friends or even just eating cookie dough ice cream on the steps of the National Portrait Gallery.