Style

Save the Planet While You Shop: 5 Eco-Friendly Designers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Did you know that you can shop, save water, AND limit carbon emissions all at the same time?! If you’re like me and want to learn how to stray away from fast fashion, read below! Here’s a list of five ethical and eco-friendly designers you’re bound to adore. 

Reformation

Created for the modern woman, Reformation is an inclusive brand that focuses on the feminine silhouette with flowy and dreamy designs. Ref’s mission is to create pieces you want to wear right now, from staple pieces like jeans, to occasion wear such as long silk gowns. 

Now let’s get into the nitty-gritty… When it comes to fabrics, Reformation sticks to using TENCEL, a much more eco-friendly version in comparison to cotton. Not only does it save 80% of the water that would have been used had clothes been created using cotton, but it’s manufactured from eucalyptus trees that grow densely and low to the ground. It only takes about a half acre to produce a ton of TENCEL. They also use linen, which emits less CO2 during production, in addition to requiring very little water! Ref also repurposes old pieces, creating new custom made ones you’ll love!

Check out some tips here on how to be smart when washing your garments.

RE/DONE

Have you been searching for that perfect jeans and tee outfit? Well, look no further! RE/DONE specializes in staple denim pieces for any closet. Even better, they create their limited edition denim, tops, and bodysuits using water conserving methods while straying away from harsh chemicals many other brands rely on. While some items come with a hefty price tag,  be sure that these jeans will turn heads and never go out of style. Vintage, comfortable, eco-friendly, luxurious, and unique – what more could a girl want?!

Threads 4 Thought

Looking for eco-friendly basics on a budget? Threads 4 Thought uses sustainable materials to create versatile and quality pieces! More importantly, their workers are treated ethically and with the deepest respect. From day-to-day looks, yoga apparel, to dresses, you’ll find whatever you’re looking for at Threads 4 Thoughts. 

We all know how challenging it can be to roll out of bed for class some mornings, which is why I recommend a cute and quick outfit consisting of “The Firefly Legging” paired with the “Eunice Tee” (has cute cutouts and is on SALE). Throw on some sneakers and you’re ready to go!

Siizu

Are you on the run but in search of a chic outfit? Siizu has you covered! With 100% organic cotton and a dedication to sustainable manufacturing practices, you really can’t go wrong. The fabrics contain NO polyester or toxins, so there’s no need to worry. 

Siizu has something for everyone! Are you an avid lover of silk slip dresses like me? Well, they are manufactured right in the heart of Suzhou where the material is sourced. How about accessories? With items ranging from handcrafted jewelry to natural skincare, you can really find pieces that will make your outfit pop (all while getting glowing skin)! 

P.S. – Click here for free earrings! Just pay for shipping and they’ll be on the way!

Outdoor Voices

Fellow yoga lovers and athletes, this brand is for you! It’s like the cult favorite Lululemon but more affordable and sustainable! Outdoor Voices strives to inspire an active lifestyle while wearing the highest quality gear. Production of your favorite leggings and sports bras means fair wages for factory employees, assured worker safety, and minimization of carbon pollution and water waste. Sounds good right? Well, there’s more! Outdoor Voices uses recycled polyester which is created from plastic bottles that are turned into reusable fibers. The products are made to last too!

As college students, it feels like there’s just not enough time for working out. Trust me though, grab a new workout outfit and you’ll want to show it off and hit the gym, go for a run, or just take a walk! 

So there you have it! You can now shop guilt free as we take steps to make fashion more sustainable around the world.

Image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Victoria studies at American University with a major in PR and Strategic Communications and a minor in Entrepreneurship and Sustainability. She was born in Bulgaria but can also call Minneapolis home. Whenever she isn't writing for HC, you can find her doing yoga, traveling, or trying out a new restaurant. Victoria is passionate about environmental sustainability and is proud to be working with Rent the Runway as an ambassador.