Run The World (Girls)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

At this point we all know Beyoncé speaks the truth. Specifically when she sings her lyrics to “Run The World (Girls)”. Today, women are begining to do exactly what Beyonce is telling us, run the world; meaning businesses, government positions, etc.

One woman in particular, Janet Yellen, has been given the opportunity to run the most powerful central bank in the world, the Federal Reserve. Yellen, 67, was confirmed on Monday February 3rd by the Senate as the chair to the Federal Reserve. She will be the first woman to take over the top position in the 100-year history of the U.S. Central Bank. She is not only the first woman to head the Federal Reserve, but also is the first Democratic nominee to run the Federal Reserve since Paul Volcker became chairman in 1979. Janet will succeed Ben Bernanke as chairman.

On February 11th, Yellen began her new role with answer questions on the economy before a congressional committee. As chairman of the Fed, Yellen will begin preparing to set interest rates and monetary policy. Yellen is taking control of the Fed in a very important and debatable time, as the massive economic stimulus program, known as quantitative easing (QE) is being established. Bernanke introduced quantitative easing, which Yellen supports. She said that she would follow in her predecessor’s footsteps when it comes to quantitative easing.

As women continue to advance in the workplace, it is important to remember that you can be that woman in power someday. The woman’s role in society has changed greatly over the past few decades and will continue. There no longer is a societal norm for woman to stay at home. We must recognize the opportunities that we have available now and act on them.  

Photo Credit:

http://i.investopedia.com/dimages/graphics/ap280869892811_0.jpg