This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

American University Professor Erica Hart shows her psychology class clips of Sex, Explained at every opportunity. The Netflix original limited series has five episodes, each focusing on a different sex topic from kinks to contraception. Narrated by Janelle Monáe, the show explains its topic through personal interviews, history, and science. “It makes hard science really digestible,” Professor Hart said.

Sex, Explained isn’t afraid to dive deep into the taboo details of sexual behavior. The show’s delivery is straightforward yet not crude, making it a perfect way to learn about sex. The diverse perspectives presented in each episode also demonstrate the intersectional variety of sexual experiences in the United States and globally. The history of contraception in the third episode particularly gives viewers a deep look into different groups’ experiences with the subject.

In a country with often insufficient formal sex education, Sex, Explained provides a much needed avenue for people to get credible information they can use to be safe and understand their own body and mind. Only 24 states and the District of Columbia mandate sex education programs in schools, and even less have comprehensive ones. Many students, especially LGBT+ ones, have resorted to the Internet to receive sexual health information which can be false or biased.

Sex, Explained can serve as one Internet source for these students that is truthful and represents them. Professor Hart loves the show because it “cites authors and actual researchers.” Scholarly research on sexual behavior is often inaccessible to most people, but the series brings it to mainstream audiences in a way that is comprehensive, but still easy to understand.

Not only is the show informational though, it’s also enjoyable to watch. The graphics are fun, and the interviews are delightfully genuine. The series is able to make jokes without taking the seriousness away from the topics at hand. The researchers in the show present their expertise credibly without sounding condescending.

The show isn’t without its critics though. Critics have said it could’ve specifically had more representation of black womxn. Another common comment was that there’s so much more to sex that can be explored, and that the show should have done more.

Despite not touching on every sex topic, the show still does a lot for progressing people’s everyday knowledge on the topics it discusses. Although not perfect, everyone should watch Sex, Explained and start a conversation. One of the biggest reasons many people don’t know about sex is because it’s seen as taboo. Sex, Explained starts a discussion we all need to have. “I’m a huge fan,” said Professor Hart.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Photos: Her Campus Media

Marissa is a junior at American University with two majors in journalism and psychology. She is also involved in other clubs at AU in addition to being a member of Sigma Kappa sorority. She loves writing and being the Business Director for Her Campus American. Outside of school, Marissa loves writing poetry, traveling, and sipping strawberry lemonade. You can follow her on Instagram and Twitter @rissparisi!