Review: Made in America Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Thousands descended on Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia this Labor Day weekend for the Budweiser Made in America Festival. The two-day festival attracted a crowd of 50,000 people decked out in their most patriotic stars and stripes—but the real stars were on stage.

I was pumped when Jay-Z stepped onto the main Rocky Stage to headline Saturday night, and he didn’t disappoint. The crowd was with him every step of the way. Fans shouted the lyrics as he moved from earlier material like “Izzo (H. O. V. A.)” and “Dirt Off Your Shoulder” to newer hits like “Empire State of Mind.” Obama made a (virtual) cameo— appearing on screen and urging fans to vote in the upcoming election.

Rumors Jay-Z wouldn’t be appearing alone were confirmed when Kanye stepped on stage mid-set to perform “I Don’t Like.” Rappers Common, Pusha T, 2 Chainz (one of my new favorites on the hip hop scene) and Big Sean also joined Kanye on stage for “Mercy,” “New God Flow,” and more. Fans went wild, hands held high in the “Roc” symbol, as Jay and Ye closed out the night with “N—– in Paris,” followed by a stunning cascade of fireworks above the stage.

The festival was bursting with other surprise performances including Eve with Jill Scott and Tyler, the Creator at Odd Future. T.J. and Jam Master J’Son DJed for Run DMC in honor of their dad and longtime Run DMC DJ, Jam Master Jay, who was fatally shot in 2002.

Saturday’s performers included Maybach Music Group, Scrillex, D’Angelo and Miike Snow. Janelle Monae’s set was one of my favorites. She looked badass in a white button down and suspenders as she controlled the stage with her powerful pipes and moves reminiscent of the late Michael Jackson.

Passion Pit
almost lost the crowd (myself included) to their newer songs, but the excitement picked up when the electropop band lit up the stage with old favorites. Chants of “higher and higher and higher” could be heard throughout the venue as crowds migrated from stage to stage.

Dub enthusiasts found their place in the Freedom Tent with Afrojack, Calvin Harris, Alleso and DJ Shadow, among others. Brave folks weaved their way into the crowded tent for a sweat coated dance party, bodies rolling and heaving against each other as the beats dropped.

Even with the threat of rain, Sunday drew a large crowd. Loyal fans stood in the downpour at the Liberty Stage, singing “Party and Bullsh*t“ alongside singer Rita Ora. The Hives followed, armed with guitars and a good bit of sarcasm.

Santigold had me from the start. “It’s a rainy afternoon, but we’re gonna make you feel like sunshine,” she said, breaking into that familiar pop sound with its signature reggae and jazz inspired beats. Her stage presence was unrivaled, and she stole the crowd when she invited fans on stage to dance.

Footage shot throughout the weekend will be part of an upcoming documentary directed by Ron Howard. Jay-Z closed out the festival alongside Pearl Jam with his hit, “99 Problems.”

Despite a few snags—like bars running out of beer Saturday night (Wait—this was a Budweiser sponsored event, right?)—it was still a wildly fun weekend. I’ll be first in line for tickets if Jay-Z brings the festival back next year. 

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.