Review: HBO’s Girls Season Two Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The premiere of the second season of HBO’s new show Girls was perfectly timed with the airing of the Golden Globes. Girls, which was created, written by, and starring Lena Dunham, took home two awards. The show earned Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy and Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy (won by Dunham). Why should collegiettes care about this show? It’s a revolution, and soon to be HBO classic (following the footsteps of Sex and the City). It highlights and celebrates young women’s imperfections as humans. The heroines of the show are girls who aren’t always the prettiest, most athletic, or most widely liked. In addition to being strong willed, they have minds of their own. It’s about the real struggle of making a life for yourself.

I watched season one over the summer at home, recommended by my older sister. It took me three days to watch all ten episodes. As I dove into the pilot episode, I was shocked by the lack of a sugar coated model-esque-Gossip-Girl-like actresses in the cast. Lena Dunham, as well as actresses Zosia Mamet, Jemima Kirke, and Allison Williams, is quirky and real. This is what Dunham intended. She finished her globes acceptance speech by dedicating the accomplishment to all the girls out there who may not belong. “This award is for every woman who’s ever felt like there wasn’t a space for her,” she said. “This show has made a space for me.”

As for the assessment of the first and second episodes of season two, I loved them. The complex characters made me want to be friends with them, though they do share some testy and heated interactions. The show keeps a light feeling through the sometimes heavy content. It touches on social issues we all must face, like getting a job, holding on to relationships, living with your friends, supporting yourself financially, parents, and so on. The greatness of the show is supplemented by its shooting location, which is in scenic New York City. I was surprised by the abrupt ending and by how fast time went as I watched. Many reviews of the premiere say that there is a lack of flow in the second season, but I believe that the show is a little choppy on purpose. Lena Dunham is setting us up for something great. Considering the first complication between Marni and Elijah, it seems like there are going to be even more hurdles for the characters to jump over this season. I can’t wait to see how they deal with it all! Thank you, Lena Dunham.

Tune in to HBO’s Girls on Sundays at 9 pm. (If you live in the dorms on campus you are able to get HBO—channels 53-55!)

Lesley Siu graduated from American University in May 2013 with a BA in Film and Media Arts and minors in Marketing and International Business. Originally from Hawaii, she loves photography, fashion, travel, social media and everything Parisian. She has interned at GLAMOUR magazine in New York and Washington Life Magazine in DC, but her proudest accomplishment is founding Her Campus American in 2011 while interning in Melbourne, Australia. You can usually find her reading a magazine, enjoying a hazelnut latte or posting a photo on Instagram... and sometimes, all at the same time. Follow her on Twitter: @lesleysiu and visit her blog.