The Real Facts on Chick-fil-A and Where to Eat Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

A new Chick-fil-A just opened in Columbia Heights and many AU students have their hearts set on having one in Tenleytown. However, AU students should take a second look at this fried chicken company.  

Many remember when the company’s views on same sex marriage emerged just a few years ago. According to the Washington Post, Chick-fi-A shows opposition to same sex marriage and has donated to anti-LGBT organizations. Former DC Mayor Vincent Gray was quoted saying that this eatery sells “hate chicken.”

Her Campus American looked deeper into what goes into making those tasty Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets. Below, you can find the list of indgredients as published on the company’s website:

“Nuggets (whole chicken breast, seasoning [salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, spices, paprika], seasoned coater [enriched bleached wheat flour {with malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid}, sugar, salt, monosodium glutamate, nonfat milk, leavening {baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate}, spice, soybean oil, color {paprika}], milk wash [water, nonfat milk, egg], peanut oil [fully refined peanut oil, with Dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foam agent added]).”

It appears that the indgredient list consists of a list of a lot of words that are hard to pronounce. Dimethylpolysiloxane specifically is a type of silicon that can also be found in several products from contact lenses to shampoos and caulking.

Chick-fil-A does not appear to have a very natural list of indgredients when it comes to its fried chicken. With these strikes against Chik-fil-A, think about taking your business elsewhere. Here are other restaurants close to AU you should consider eating at instead.

1. Sweetgreen – Georgetown/Bethesda

Sweetgreen has a create-your-own salad bar that has natural indgredients from arugula and spinach leaves to seasonal fruit to mix into your personal creation. Several protein options are also available including tofu and chicken, to name a few.  

2. Starbucks

If the idea of a homophobic company disgusts you, take your money to more tolerant companies like Starbucks. While many conservatives have ridiculed their red holiday cups for “runining the spirit of Christmas,” Her Campus American sees this as a commendable business move that is making its products more marketable to all of their customers during the holidays, many of whom do not celebrate Christmas.  

3. Cava – Tenleytown

Cava is a Mediteranean restaurant located in Tenleytown that many AU students are already familiar with. Customers can make their own bowl or pita creations at Cava starting with a choice of rices, protein (chicken, meatballs, falafel and more) plus a wide variety of toppings including several types of hummus and their famous tzatziki. And don’t forget your pita on the side! 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.