Reaction to Fox’s New Show Scream Queens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Scream Queens has premiered, ladies and gents! Let’s chat about this for a moment. I had seen a commercial for it some time over the summer, and thought ‘hey that looks cool.’ But once school started, I totally forgot about it. This week Scream Queens had a lot of buzz thanks to their numerous YouTube ads and very own geofilter on Snapchat.

After seeing all of the ads, it piqued my interest. A friend of mine also wanted to see it. So from 8-10 p.m. we sat glued to the couch, eyes on the new Fox series. 

For those who have not heard of the series, it is about a university that has a serial killer on the loose. It is a star-studded cast with Emma Roberts, Keke Palmer, Lea Michelle, Jaime Lee Curtis, Arianna Grande and many more. 

Right off the bat I was gasping. It is a little strange, and I would say it won’t be everyones cup of tea. The dark humor, that is very far off from being politically correct, catches you off guard at first, but by the end of the show you’re warmed up to it. Throughout all of the dark jokes, you somehow find yourself smiling just because it makes you shake your head.

At times it can be quite graphic, but keep in mind I’m not someone who normally watches gory, horror shows or movies (even though this is comedic horror). At times I am jumping out of my seat and yelling “WHAT IS THIS!?” 

With many other comedic horror shows, part of what makes them funny is that they are so ridiculous that you have to laugh. The show took me on an unexpected emotional roller coaster that had me screaming, laughing and gasping. With that being said, you know I’ll be tuning in next week, and I suggest you do too.

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Chloe Kim

American

Chloe is a senior at American University studying broadcast journalism with a minor in marketing. She is an avid pizza enthusiast, and her dream job is to be a travel writer.