Put Down the Phone and Sleep Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As young adults in the Millennium era, we are constantly told to get off of our phones and avert our eyes away from the computer screen. Yes, we cannot deny that we have a tendency to be glued to our phones, computers and maybe even iPads. There is nothing wrong with using these devices. How else are we going to check Instagram, see what the weather will be like tomorrow, or even check what time it is. 

There is a time and a place for technology, but bedtime is not one. Studies show that being on a smartphone before bed disrupts our sleep cycle. Smartphones emit a blue light that negatively affects our body’s melatonin levels—a chemical that helps us sleep. Cellphone use before bed can make people feel more stressed and less productive the next day, which is known as a “cellphone hangover.” It has been proven that people who use their phones after 9 PM to send work emails are less productive and more tired the next day. Sure, not all of us are using our smartphones for business; however, surfing Facebook or watching YouTube videos on your phone before bed, not only distracts you and keeps you up later than intended, it keeps the mind engaged and active, making it harder to relax and fall asleep. 

If you notice yourself always browsing through your phone before bed, you’re not alone. The National Sleep Foundation found that 95 percent of Americans use technology at least one hour before bed. The constant technology use before bed is an unhealthy habit that we need to put an end to; however, this is easier said than done. Our phones and computers are by our side 24/7. We might tell ourselves we will unplug by 9 PM or 10 PM, but in reality, we end up breaking our promise and send one last email to our professor or check to see if a friend texted about tomorrow’s breakfast plans. 

Here are a few tips to help you be technology-free before you go to sleep

1. Give yourself a technology curfew. Tell yourself that you want to go to bed by 11 PM; therefore, by 10 PM, you do one last social media browse and make sure your alarm is set for the next morning. Then put your phone aside

until morning.

2. Turn on the Do Not Disturb function on your phone in order to avoid temptations to read texts from friends or family. 

3. Use a real alarm clock rather than your phone alarm so you do not have to double check your phone to make sure you set your alarm for 8 AM rather than 8 PM right before you go to sleep. 

4. Do homework that involves the computer earlier in the day. As college students, we are up late working on essays and projects that involve the computer; however, try to do your technology related homework in the day time. Save the readings and reviewing for tests for the night, so that you are not on your laptop right before bed.  

5. Read a book before you go to sleep. Once you have put your phone and computer away for the evening, grab a book in order to relax your mind and get your brain ready to fall asleep. 

After just a few days of technology free nights, you will start to see a difference in your sleep patterns. You will wake up feeling more rested and ready to face the day ahead!

Photo Credits: cover image1, 2

(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[0]=’EMAIL’;ftypes[0]=’email’;fnames[1]=’FNAME’;ftypes[1]=’text’;fnames[2]=’LNAME’;ftypes[2]=’text’;}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);

#mc_embed_signup{background:#fff; clear:left; font:14px Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; } /* Add your own MailChimp form style overrides in your site stylesheet or in this style block. We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. */