This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Picture this: You’ve just planned the perfect day- maybe you’re taking a day trip to New York, playing tourist at the Smithsonians, or attending a concert… but you’ve got nothing to wear. With busy class schedules and delayed Metro trains, it’s hard to find time during the week to go shopping. And even if you do find time to go to the mall, it’s hard to find sustainably made clothing on short notice. But this isn’t an issue for you, because you’ve got a ball of yarn and a pair of knitting needles.

Knitting is an art form that’s often associated with older women, typically the kind who sit in a rocking chair all day. And while that does seem like a nice way to retire, knitting doesn’t just have to be for the 65+ community. It can be a great, sustainable way to make your own slow-fashion versions of the trendy knit tops that stores like Urban Outfitters are popularizing.

Patterns

To get started, it’s important to first pick out something to knit. All sorts of things can be created out of yarn: tank tops, sweaters, shirts, sweaters, cardigans, pants, socks, hats, gloves… the possibilities are quite literally endless. In order to know exactly how to create a specific garment, you’ll need a pattern. 

Etsy is an easy place to find a good pattern because there are a lot of independent artists who create and sell them through the platform. Some incredible shops that sell knitting patterns on Etsy are BrendaMadeThis, VickyKnits, and KarasKnitEng. Each of these shops have multiple projects that are meant for beginners and turn out great and lasting products. 

Ravelry is another great source for inspiration. Ravelry is an online community of knitters and crocheters where creators can share ideas and patterns for all sorts of projects. The best part about Ravelry is that there are countless free knitting patterns. There are many other places to find free patterns as well, and using and sharing these patterns is also a great way to help support artists.

Materials

After you’ve picked out a pattern, you’ll need the materials to make it. Most if not all knitting patterns will tell the artist what type of needles and yarn are necessary for any given pattern. Some things, like cardigans, are made with very thick, chunky yarn and use really large needles. Some items, like socks, are made with very thin yarn and need small needles. The most important thing is to read the pattern carefully and use the materials suggested in order to get the right size product.

Choosing the right yarn is one of the most important steps in knitting. Darker colors are a little harder to see, and aren’t necessarily recommended for beginners. Bigger yarn is also a lot easier to use for beginners because it knits fast, and you get a finished product sooner. There are a lot of nice brands that sell high-quality yarn, too. We Are Knitters and Wool and the Gang both sell yarn and knitting tools, as well as kits with yarn and patterns. These brands are also more sustainable as they primarily sell wool. However, they’re expensive and understandably not accessible for everyone. Joann Fabric and Craft stores have various sizes and brands of yarn that come in plenty of different sizes at more affordable prices.

Getting Started

Once you have all of the materials, it’s time to get started! Learning how to knit might feel a little difficult at first, but there are some great tutorials on Youtube to help get started. And once you understand the basics, the rest comes naturally.

Knitting can be a great way to customize your own clothes- custom colors, sizing, and coverage can make this a really accessible form of fashion for people who typically struggle with finding affordable and cute options in traditional clothing stores. 

Knitting can also be a great way to keep your hands busy and to ground yourself. It can be helpful to reduce some of the symptoms of anxiety as well, including general stress relief.

Knitting is an art form that can turn out fun products and improve general well-being. It’s super easy to get started, and is such a fun way to pass the time!

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.