Pop, Hip Hop, and Vibes: 5 New Artists To Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Check out these five new and hungry artist that are sure to blow up the music scene, making each genre their own.

1. Kehlani

Contemporary R&B artist Kehlani Parrish, known by her stage name Kehlani, is quickly taking the Hip Hop/R&B world by storm, and at only 20 years old. Hailing from Oakland, CA, an injury during her time of studying ballet at the Oakland School for the Arts prompted her to turn to the music department. After joining a band that competed on America’s Got Talent, she eventually went solo, to ultimately change the course of contemporary R&B today. Comparable to Jhene Aiko, Kehlani offers a more down-to-earth, fierce and fiery sound, unafraid and unapologetic to express her feelings and thoughts through her music. Her first major album, “You Should Be Here” (2015) will give you serious vibes, as she sings and raps about a young African-American girl’s struggles in the track “Bright.” She also offers fierce girl-power inspiration in her track “Runnin’ (Interlude).” Catching Instagram attention from notable celebs like Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift, this is an artist you definitely want to tune in to.

Track to Catch: Be Alright” – Kehlani 

2. Kygo

Born in Bergen, Norway, Kyrre Gorvell-Dahll, aka Kygo, managed to break through the growing house/electronic music genre, adding his own brighter and more relaxed sound to the fray. The Avicii-inspired producer and DJ caught major attention with his remix of Ed Sheeran’s “I See Fire”, earning him millions of listeners worldwide. Now known for his popular hit single “Firestone” featuring Conrad Sewell, Kygo is slowly but powerfully making his way from the Norwegian charts to the U.S. charts. Offering all kinds of relaxed and feel-good vibes, Kygo is a definite must in your Spotify playlist.

Track to Catch: Coming Over” (feat. James Halsey) – Kygo & Dillon Francis

3. Alessia Cara

Pop-R&B Canadian singer Alessia Cara started on the small screen of Youtube before she became a hit in 2015. Well known for her angsty track “Here,” which debuted at number 7 on the U.S. charts, Cara is young but mighty, making music full of fireworks and wisdom. Noticed recently for her soulful cover of Drake’s “Hotline Bling”, Drake himself gave her his musical hip hop blessing, one Toronto native to another. With her newest debut EP titled “Four Pink Walls” (2015), this hungry 19-year-old is making her name and unique sound known, paving her way in the music world. 

Track to Catch: “I’m Yours” – Alessia Cara

4. Bryson Tiller

Hailing from Lousville, Kentucky, this 21-year-old rapper/singer offers a unique sound to the hip hop/R&B/rap world. With his recent release of his debut album “Trapsoul” (2015) Tiller’s sound falls pretty true to the album title. Tiller offers tracks that alternate between rapping and singing, with smooth and soulful beats. Comparable to Drake as a singer/rapper, Tiller is trying to make a name for himself with his soulful and fresh take on hip hop. From sleeping in a car and working two jobs to make ends meet, just two years later Tiller is celebrating the rising buzz his debut album is gaining, climbing up the charts of both iTunes and Billboard. Bryson Tiller’s soulful yet edgy vibeswill keep you listening on loop; you’ll want to be a part of this artist’s musical explosion. 

Track to Catch: “Don’t” – Bryson Tiller 

5. Halsey

Ashley Frangipane, known in the music world as Halsey, is a New York-based pop artist, adding her own twist and sound to the pop world. Through her gritty electro-pop sound and dark, enticing lyrics, Halsey is quickly making a name for herself. Her debut album “Badlands” dropped this year, debuting at number two in the U.S., catching the eye of Imagine Dragons, whom she accompanied on tour earlier this year. Halsey recently gave a soulful and electric performance at the Austin City Limits music festival in Austin, Texas, and was the Most Talked About Person on Twitter at South by Southwest in the same city earlier this year. Described as an “angry female record,” Halsey’s sound is something you can jam out to whenever and wherever. 

Track to Catch:Ghost” – Halsey 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5