This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Every college student wants to work hard to make their new dorm room a space filled with décor that defines them. Everyone feels differently about how they want to decorate their rooms, but here are some tips that any girl would find useful while planning their dream room!

The best way to make your room an oasis is to make sure that you choose the right lighting. Dorm rooms are notorious for their florescent lights that can cause headaches and make you look, to say the least, oily. Turn off the lights and plug in your own- string lights and floor lamps are the way to go! They light up the room and set a much nicer tone for studying and hanging out with your friends.

In your dorm, you are going to be forced to stare at wooden cabinets and dark colored carpets. The best way to put some color into the room is to decorate with colored comforters, throw rugs and blankets, photo frames, and pillows- any way that you can make your room bright and fun!

You can also bring your home with you by filling your new space with photographs of your closest friends and family! The color will light up the room and you will have those people with you throughout your college experience. Be sure to add some of your favorite quotes and sayings onto your walls to help represent you.

Organization will also help to make your room neat and tidy. Hide your things in cupboard and keep things in order to make your room appear flawless and make everything easier to find. Scent plug ins and sprays will also make your room more inviting and homey.

In order to find more DIY ideas and tutorials, go to websites such as pinterest and find cheap ways to make your room reflective of your personality!