This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With summer just two months away, some of us are trying find ways to make it count. The internship search can be the struggle of all struggles. Why is it so hard to find a position that you actually enjoy? Do I even want to intern? Do I even like this field? Should I change my major? Should I change my career goals? What is a career? What is interning? What is life? Okay slow down before you send yourself into an existential crisis take a moment or plan to run off to another country, take a moment to regroup.

Phase I: Oh Crap.

Causes: Finding out that a lot of your peers are starting to apply to internships, and other exciting opportunities. Being forced to read other people’s resumes and cover letters, as they seem to be going off on incredible, once in a lifetime opportunities. Coming to the realization that there are only two months of school left.

Symptoms: Feeling distain for those who seem to be ahead of the game, and avoiding career resources like the plague. Beginning to feel like you’re lost and have absolutely nowhere to begin

Home Remedies: Hot tea, a call to mom back home and maybe an update to your resume.

Phase II: Initial Search

Causes: Realizing that there is probably something out there for you (thanks mom!), and that if you want to intern this summer, you’ve got to start somewhere!

Symptoms: Typing vague search terms into Google with thousands of results that you would never have time to actually read. Avoiding applications that ask for letters of recommendation because you’re pretty sure you can’t use your high school volleyball coach, and you just don’t know your professors that well at all. If you find yourself in a puddle of tears, are spending way too much time laying on the floor and seem to constantly update the skills section of your resume, than you are probably still in the initial search phase. 

Home Remedies: Refine your search terms. Be careful not to get too specific, you never know what you might be missing out on!

Professional Help: Talk to friends and peers who have been through the process before, don’t be afraid to ask questions. Remember people generally are willing to provide advice. And of course, check out the Career Center. Bring concrete questions, a resume, and gain a little bit of perspective.

Phase III:  Refined Search

Causes:  Little to no success on the first try, but you feel everyone else seems to be finding their dream position so why can’t you!?

Symptoms: Avoiding homework and other once important assignments and spending literally all of your time on Indeed, LinkedIn, and CareerLink

Home Remedies: Try writing out a list of things that you’re interested in generally. Don’t be specific to your major; be specific to your true interests. Interested in social justice issues? Are you creative and enjoy things like art and photography? Don’t limit yourself! You will find more meaning at an internship that exhibits your interests inside or outside of the company or organization.

Professional Help: Check out an internship fair!

Phase IV: Applying

Causes:  A list of internships and other opportunities that seem to need endless material from you.

Symptoms: Stressing over a cover letter, procrastinating or waiting until the deadline to finish your resume, awkwardly asking professors and superiors you don’t know all that well to write you a letter of recommendation, more tears, more calls to mom.

Home Remedies: When you present yourself in writing to a potential employer, you should always be genuine. Share with them how your strengths and skills will be valuable to their company. Let them know how you could be an important addition to the team! Also, when it comes to letters of recommendation, always ask your references a few weeks in advance, and always provide them with a deadline. 

Phase V: Waiting Game

Causes:  Applying to several internships and putting the fate of your summer in the hands of strangers.

Symptoms: Refreshing your email constantly, praying, self-deprecating.

Home Remedies: Stay patient, don’t give up hope, and keep applying!

Photo Credits: 1, 2. 3, 4, 5