Pentatonix: Acapella Geniuses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Who doesn’t love acapella music? It’s been a constant favorite on college campuses forever. Just at AU there’s the new all-female group Pitches Be Trippin’, the other all-female group Treble in Paradise, the two co-ed groups Blends with Benefits and Dime a Dozen, and some of Her Campus American’s favorite Campus Cuties, the all male group On a Sensual Note. 

Recently acapella has become more popular because of its introduction on the big and small screens via the movie Pitch Perfect and NBC’s acapella competition The Sing Off. 

In honor of Pentatonix’s release of their second album PTX Volume 2, and just a tribute to some really amazing acapella, here is a list of 10 of the best performances from this amazing group.

10. Pentatonix version of Video Killed the Radio Star from their time on the Sing Off was the performance that really put them on the map as an aca-force to be reckoned with.

9. This NSYNC melody fills the void until NSYNC decides to have another reunion.

8. The Evolution of Music video just proves that Pentatonix can not only put their own spin on popular music, but they make songs from centuries ago interesting and they show they can do justice to classic songs from various decades.

7. Although this video is a collaboration between Pentatonix and Todrick Hall, The Wizard of Ahhhs it is seriously an amazing take on The Wizard of Oz set to the music of today.

6. This cover earned both artists the award for “Best Response Video” at the first ever YouTube Music Awards. 

5. This cover truly shows Pentatonix fun side with a truly great version of this song. You can’t help but get up and dance.

4. This song was a great way to really highlight how spectacular Pentatonix’s bass and drum section truly is. 

3. One of the best covers of Lorde’s smash song. It made number 3 on our Top Six Covers of Lorde’s Royals

2. In less than a week Pentatonix’s Daft Punk Medley already earned over 11 million views.

1. You can never go wrong with Beyonce!

Photo Credit: http://www.ryanseacrest.com/wp…