Overlooked Study Abroad Options

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

American University has one of the most highly ranked study abroad programs in the nation. Choosing one country, when you have 196 to choose from, is a daunting task for students. Having multicultural experiences is something that will set you apart from the rest as you prepare for graduate school or search for a job. The most popular destinations students typically select are France, Spain, England or Italy, but there are many other countries that are sometimes overlooked. This list will help you broaden your world view of unique countries that you should consider.

South Africa

South Africa is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. Their history is filled with the reign and fall of apartheid, and previous colonization by different countries. Today, it is one of the most democratic countries in Africa. South Africa is great place to learn, if you want to study politics, international studies, or learn any one of the 11 different languages spoken there. 

Japan (Tokyo)

As the world’s third largest economy, Japan is home to many well known businesses and universities. Tokyo is considered one of the most dynamic cities in the world, so why not study where Hello Kitty and video games originated? The city is a metropolis combining traditional Japanese culture with the energy of a bustling urban city. Plus, there are so many natural wonders to see, such as mountains, coral reefs and rolling hills in the tiny country. Tokyo is a great place to study politics, art, education and sciences. 

Sweden

Sweden is a country that is rarely in the news but people do know about their delicious IKEA meatballs. Often, the Nordic countries of Europe are simply forgotten. Sweden is a country that ranks low on inequality rankings according to the Human Development Index. They even have the largest percent of female lawmakers in the world! Equality is highly valued in the country. Another fact is that it also has the largest shopping mall in Europe. Sweden is a great place to study politics and international relations. 

Turkey (Istanbul) 

Istanbul is the city where Europe meets Asia. If you choose to study there, you could have an opportunity to visit historical places where the Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman empires once conquered. Museums, castles, grand mosques, bazaars and natural wonders are all over Istanbul. You can study pretty much anything in Istanbul. Unfortunately, with the escalating tensions and problems with terrorist group ISIS affecting the region, talking to an advisor and your parents first would be a good idea if you are considering studying in Turkey. 

Argentina

If you speak Spanish or want to learn more about the country Lionel Messi and Pope Francis are from, Argentina is the destination for you. It is the largest Spanish speaking country with a mix of Latin American and European culture. There are beautiful rural areas and vibrant cities to explore once your classes are over. Since Argentina was colonized by Europeans, Argentinians have kept certain European traditions in the country. If you want the Latin American perspective of politics, history, and culture you should study here. 

As AU students, we have an awesome opportunity to study abroad and learn about different cultures. Think outside of the box and don’t put the less popular countries on the back burner. You will have great experiences anywhere you study, but you could have rare and unique experiences in the countries mentioned above!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Tamara Young is a sophomore studying Political Science and Public Communications.