This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On January 27th, 2021, Emmy- and Oscar-winning actress Cloris Leachman died at her home in Encinitas, California. According to CBS News, Leachman’s death was due to natural casues, with the actress having passed away in her sleep. Following the news of her death, fans and former co-stars paid tribute to one of Hollywood’s most prolific actresses.

“Cloris was insanely talented,” tweeted writer, actor, and director Mel Brooks, adding that she was “Always such a pleasure to have on set. Every time I hear a horse whinny I will forever think of Cloris’ unforgettable Frau Blücher.” Here, Brooks is referring to Leachman’s role in Young Frankenstein (1974), a comedy which he co-wrote and directed. As the formidable housekeeper for Dr. Frederick Frankenstein (Gene Wilder), Leachman gave life to one of the film’s most famous lines, where she declares her love for the Doctor’s late grandfather.

Before the release of Young Frankenstein, Leachman cemented her status on the small screen with a supporting role on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. This groundbreaking ’70s sitcom about a single, working woman was a far cry from the doting housewife roles that dominated television. With her cheery disposition and undeniable spunk, Mary Richards (played by Moore) captured America’s hearts with a toss of her hat.

Opposite Moore, Leachman provided many laughs as Phyllis, Mary Richards’s kooky landlady, who also served as the comic foil to Valerie Harper’s wise-cracking Rhoda.

“She was just marvelous, a marvelous actress,” remembered Leachman’s Mary Tyler Moore Show co-star, Ed Asner, in an interview with Entertainment TonightKnown for defying typecasting, a common pitfall for Hollywood actors and actresses, Leachman “had pride in herself and she did not like being bound down to any rules and regulations” said Asner.

Offscreen, Leachman was dedicated to both her family and charitable causes. According to her manager, Juliet Green, the late actress was “a passionate advocate for animal rights.” If anyone would like to honor Leachman, her family asked via Green that you make a donation in the actress’s name to either of her two favorite charities, PETA or Last Chance for Animals.

Sources:  1, 2, 3, 4, 56

Photos: Her Campus Media

Jackie Lamb

American '22

Jackie Lamb is studying Film and Media Arts at American University. She is a member of the class of 2022.