This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Her Campus American journalists are free to express opinions. The opinions in this article are not representative of Her Campus American’s opinions as an organization. 

The year is 2017. The Harvey-Weinstein-is-an-abuser story broke in October, blowing up social media feeds and newsstands everywhere. It was a shock to some, but not to many in the film industry. In the New York Times’ original article, it stated, “Dozens of Mr. Weinstein’s former and current employees, from assistants to top executives, said they knew of inappropriate conduct while they worked for him,” and that Weinstein required a code of silence. 

With its emotional retelling of how the Harvey Weinstein abuse came to light in the public eye and thriller-esque soundtrack, “She Said” is an enthralling film that reintroduces the account of this exposé to the popular culture sphere, but fails spectacularly when credits roll.

The film itself told an important story, and did it well. Carey Mulligan and Zoe Kazan gave captivating performances as Megan Twohey and Jodi Kantor, the two reporters who exposed Weinstein. Personal plot lines revolving around both reporters and the victims’ lives are intertwined into the overarching story, giving the audience insight into the key people who were wrapped up in this scandal. 

The film lives up to its name, almost completely removing the ‘he said’ from ‘he said, she-said.’ The audience is given very little details about Weinstein’s life, except when the victims share their stories. 

It is refreshing to not have to hear the abuser’s side of things. The score supplemented the plot nicely, giving pivotal scenes the emphasis they deserve — though the sound mixing left something to be desired. 

My main issue arose during the credits. In big lettering, the screen flashed: Executive Producer Brad Pitt. It could not be the same Brad Pitt who allegedly beat both his wife, Angelina Jolie, and his children in 2016. It could not be the same Brad Pitt who worked with Weinstein on “Inglourious Basterds” in 2009 and “Killing Them Softly” in 2012 after Jolie refused to work with Weinstein, alleging that he sexually assaulted her in 1996.

I couldn’t at the time, and still cannot, wrap my head around the fact that Pitt decided that it would be a good idea to produce a film about abuse in Hollywood while being an abuser himself (allegedly). 

Pitt worked with Weinstein after his wife accused him of sexual assault! It begs the question: why was he even allowed to be an executive producer on this film? This story is very sensitive and emotional. It is not insignificant for these women’s stories to be retold to the world, especially on a major-motion-picture scale. Pitt being involved makes the film hypocritical. 

Pitt’s contribution cheapened and sullied the film as a whole. “She Said” was meant to expose systemic abuse in Hollywood, not perpetuate the narrative that men can get away with these exploitative behaviors. 

Weinstein took advantage of the power his position in the industry gave him and Pitt knowingly allowed him to continue this way. The point of the film becomes completely negated when abusers are given the power and platform to control narratives, continuing the cycle.

I left the theater and wasn’t able to let go of my discomfort with Pitt being an executive producer. The more I thought about it, the more the film left a bad taste in my mouth. 

It felt too self-congratulatory to me. Weinstein is being put behind bars for 23 years in New York, looking at more in Los Angeles, but otherwise, I’m not sure what else has changed. Even though the film frames it like this, Weinstein is unfortunately not the only abuser in Hollywood. He is just one in a sea of abusive men taking advantage of women, operating in a culture that powerful men continue to make possible for each other.

Until this system that tolerates and assists abusers is dismantled, there will always be a power imbalance that allows for men like Weinstein and Pitt to carry on.  

“She Said” releases in theaters on Nov. 18, 2022. 

Stella Guzik

American '25

Stella is a sophomore at American University, majoring in journalism and minoring in psychology. When not writing for Her Campus AU, she helps to produce the news with American University TV or could be found watching a movie with her friends.