Career

The Online GRE: What It Is, How I Prepared, and What I Learned From It:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On Sept. 20, I took the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), and wow, there is so much to say. 

It reminded me of a combination of the SAT and ACT, but then add on the intensity. The online version was five hours and proctors had control over your computer screen. l. Watching the mouse be used by another person felt like someone was hacking into my computer. However, after that first introductory part, the exam went similar to high school standardized tests. 

As much as studying for two months helped, the GRE requires an in-depth knowledge of math they assume graduate students know. As a result, I used the Princeton Review Book (what I used and the 2021 edition on Amazon) since the last math course I took was freshman year and not a topic on the exam. They break the book into three sections: Analytical Writing, Qualitative Reasoning, and Quantitative Reasoning. I found that actively reading, annotating the question prompts, and reviewing my notes from previous chapters and sections helped me retain the information. 

I studied by creating a schedule and writing down each section in my planner to make sure I did not miss a topic. I cannot stress how important taking the exams at the end of each section is! 

Below is the schedule I followed from July 20 to my examination date. After some research, I found that following a two-month schedule would suffice because it gives the student enough time to study, take practice exams, and review without cramming right before the exam. 

Qualitative Reasoning (Weeks 1-3!)

Week 1: The first 3 weeks cover the Qualitative Reasoning Section, think of everything you learned in high school. 

Practice Exam #1: Many tutoring companies, such as Brightlink Prep, suggest taking a preliminary exam to see what you should focus more on.

Text Completions: This is essentially “fill in the blank” with words you may have never heard before and honestly, some of them do not look like they are English. 

I specifically took notes on transitions, word roots, prefixes, and suffixes to help me define words I may not remember its definition too. 

Sentence Equivalence

Key Terms Group 1: These are 75 terms that are frequently seen on the GRE and there are 4 groups, making 300 terms. 

Week 2:

Reading Comprehension

Key Terms Group 2: you are now halfway through the vocabulary!

Week 3:

Critical Reasoning: how GRE Arguments are constructed 

Key Terms Group 3

Analytical Reasoning (Week 4!)

Week 4: This week goes over Analytical Writing, which is the first section of the exam!

The Issue Essay: Think, Organize and Write

The Argument Essay: conclusions, premises, and assumptions

Key Terms Group 4

GRE Practice Exam #2 on the Qualitative Reasoning and Analytical Writing sections 

You’re halfway through! Think about all that you accomplished! I know studying might not always be fun, but each week completed so far will help you with all future writing assignments. I already see the difference in the vocabulary I use and the way I write papers.

Quantitative Reasoning (Weeks 5-6!)

Week 5: Weeks 5 and 6 cover Quantitative Reasoning (3/6 sections)

Math Fundamentals

Algebra

Continue testing your vocabulary!

Week 6:

Real-World Math 

Geometry

Math Et Cetera

Evaluate and Review (Weeks 7-8!)

Week 7: Evaluation

Finish Practice Exam #2

Practice Exam #3

Week 8: One to two more Practice Exams — When signing up for the GRE, you can get 2 full exams for free!

Lastly, relax on the day before the exam! You have put in months of studying so take a break and think positively.

Looking back, I wish I started preparing earlier because the last time I took a math course was statistics in freshman year. If you have a similar circumstance, maybe also switch the sections so you can review the mathematical topics more. Overall, the GRE tested my skills as a student and prepared me for what to expect in graduate school. I do not regret for a second taking this exam and can say it has made me a better student for my senior year. I hope my schedule and tips help you and good luck with your future endeavors!

Camryn Libes

American '21

Hi! I'm Camryn and I am a senior at American University in Washington DC. My interests are mental & physical health, fitness, psychology, and history with the last two being my majors! I hope to help other girls of all ages and be someone relatable or even the older sister I have always wanted to be. (P.S. my profile picture is in Budapest, Hungary)