Old Fashioned Dating Habits We Should Bring Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Since most of us have never experienced dating in the “old days,” we only know what we’ve seen in movies, or heard from our parents’ and grandparents’ stories of how they were “courted.” When comparing these “old fashion” dating habits to the virtual dating world we live in know, it is normal to want some of these old fashioned ways to come back into play.

While it might be easier to stay in touch with people from around the world, the digital age has managed to throw romance out the window. Personalized communication is a key element of dating that has been stripped from our generation, trading itself with the virtual technological form of communication we so popularly know today. Here are some traditions that should be brought back:

1. Have a genuine date, without the need for alcohol in between.

When did it become a necessity to drink in order to have a good time or make a date bearable? Dating should be an honest process where communication is the main attraction.

2. Talk to someone with out the need to use our phones as a human shield.

Yes, we’ve all done it. We try to keep the conversation flowing by texting each other, and end up overthinking about how many “y’s” to put at the end of your “hey.” When did that become an important factor in the dating process? And why do we stress about the waiting time before replying? We should just be able to enjoy real conversation, and not only the one we provide through Whatsapp.

3. Pay attention to the little things.

This will take you a long way. The simple gesture of opening a car door, introducing your date to your parents, or even showing up on time can make a world of a difference. Nowadays, details in a date are something we don’t really expect. But let’s be honest, who wouldn’t love to be greeted with flowers or chocolate? We have lost the concept of trying to stand out in a special way, and in that same process we have lost the need for someone to truly romance us by being chivalrous.

4. Make an effort.

Actually getting picked up at your house, going out and getting dropped back off. With how easy texting makes communication we have all become comfortable and find that it’s okay to get a plan going by simply putting minimal effort in. Why should we wait for a text at 10PM that says “see you there in 20”, when we could get picked up at our doorstep and have a nice outing that was planned well in advance instead of 10 minutes prior.

5. Forget the distractions, and care for your date.

If you see someone you know introduce them. No one likes to be left hanging when the person we are with finds someone they know and after minutes of conversation still don’t feel the need to introduce you, so don’t do it either. Give our full attention to our date. With how socially awkward technology has made us, it can be easy to be in a public place and disconnect when the conversation gets uncomfortable, no more seat shifting, just grab your phone, NO!

All in all we need to bring the general essence of dating back, where it was actually required to earn the affection of the person you were interested in. Nowadays everything is so much easier, that the romance has died. Men don’t feel the need to work hard, and women forget how to feel wanted. We all deserve to feel special and technology has made us way too comfortable.

Do you think these dating habits should be brought back?

Photo Sources: 123456