An Ode to the Teenage Bedroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The teenage bedroom has always fascinated me. Is there any other place so obsessively personalized and home to so many formative experiences? When you’re 15, your bedroom is like your own little palace. You have final say on everything from posters to comforter color to lighting, at a time when pretty much everything else is decided for you. Whenever I would hang out with friends in middle or high school, I always loved to go to their rooms and just look around, because I’ve always thought that the best way to get to know someone is to simply look at the things they have most prominently displayed in their bedroom. So, I present a photo essay on some of the most compelling teenage bedrooms ever shown on film. All images are from the absolutely brilliant Tumblr, “Teenage Bedrooms On Screen.”

Juno, 2007, dir. Jason Reitman

Ghost World, 2001, dir. Terry Zwigoff

Edward Scissorhands, 1990, dir. Tim Burton

The Princess Diaries, 2001, dir. Garry Marshall

Palo Alto, 2013, dir. Gia Coppola

The Virgin Suicides, 1999, dir. Sofia Coppola

Clueless, 1995, dir. Amy Heckerling

Pretty in Pink, 1986, dir. Howard Deutch

The Lizzie Maguire Movie, 2003, dir. Jim Fall

Rebel Without a Cause, 1955, dir. Nicholas Ray

The Lovely Bones, 2009, dir. Peter Jackson

The Doom Generation, 1995, dir. Gregg Araki

The Bling Ring, 2013, dir. Sofia Coppola

Heathers, 1988, dir. Michael Lehmann

Boyhood, 2014, dir. Richard Linklater

Now the only question is: will you decorate your dorm in the style of Ghost World or Clueless? Make sure to check out Teenage Bedrooms on Screen for more!