NYC Climate Change March with Joseph Gordon-Levitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

I traveled to New York City to report on and participate in the NYC People’s Climate March on Sept. 21. Over 300,000 people participated in the march, making it by far the largest climate change march in history. Thousands of people, organizations, climate change activists, celebrities and government figures attended the event. We marched from Central Park West through Times Square and ending up at 11th Avenue.

The march was a precursor to the UN Climate Summit on Sept. 23, in which President Obama and other world leaders met to discuss climate action.

The march started at 11:30 AM. There were thousands of passionate people from all around the world and of all ages. The energy throughout New York was incredible. Common chants I heard during the march were “We believe that we will win,” “This is what democracy looks like,” and “We will show you what a movement looks like.”

There were so many creative, and often humorous, posters and costumes at the march. Here are some of my favorites:

I couldn’t help but smile at this innovative yet powerful duo. The protestors here are referring to Russian delegation that has blocked global efforts for Antarctic marine protection. 

It was really great seeing this father and son participating in the march together while having fun with it.

I was extremely impressed by this mobile bird’s nest and tree float. The sign reads, “Like Birds We Fly Round The World In Search of Home.” I can’t imagine how much work went into making this float, which shows just how passionate these marchers are. And I can’t BEGIN to imagine how difficult it was peddling along this float for over three hours.

A sense of humor was definitely present at the march.

Oh, and I also have to mention that I met the beautiful Joseph Gordon-Levitt at the march. Along with other celebrities including Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo, this Hollywood cutie was participating in the march, hoping to spread awareness on the increasing threat of climate change. I was able to talk to Levitt. The conversation went as follows:

Me: Please tell me, what you are doing out here today, and why did you come out?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt:  I’m recording people just like you are.

Me: Why is the climate march important?

JGL: Well to let the world know that this is something that is important to a lot of people.

Me: Why is it important to you specifically?

JGL: I hope to live a long and lustrous life, and I hope my kids and grandkids can live a long and lustrous life, and the climate change seems to be probably the greatest threat around today.  

Me: What are you hoping is going to come out of this climate march?

JGL: That’s a really good question. I hope it makes a difference. I hope that just by virtue of talking about it, this can reframe the conversation, it’s not something that’s up for debate any longer but something that we have to address. That’s me speaking optimistically. If it’s me speaking pessimistically, (pause) I don’t know if I want to say.

Afterwards, he turned the camera around on me and asked me questions for a project as part of his personal production company hitRECord. Of course, before saying goodbye, I made sure to get a selfie!

Overall, the People’s Climate March was an extremely memorable experience. It was really exhilarating being a part of such a passionate and motivated crowd, and knowing that I was helping create history. 

Below is a montage of video from the march, along with part of my interview with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 

Photos: 1

Lauren is currently a Junior at American University and is pursuing a degree in Business Administration with a Finance specialization. As a previous communications student, Lauren is a long-time writer for Her Campus. She believes every student, no matter what major, can benefit from learning about business and finance. Her goal is to share some of the information she has learned as a business student to empower other young people to prepare for financial success. Lauren writes articles focused mainly on personal finance, business and career prep.