No Shave November in a Nutshell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

October has passed.  November is here.  Everyone seems to be so caught up with Thanksgiving coming up.  Now that breast cancer awareness month is over, another cancer awareness month is right around the corner. A lot of people tend to forget Movember (which comes from the words moustache and November), especially the ladies. Some people know it as No Shave November. It does not matter which one you know it as because both organizations support the same cause. What is No Shave November/Movember, you ask?

To keep it consistent, let’s just call it No Shave November, or NSN for short.  It s an annual, month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November to raise awareness for cancer.  It is actually geared towards men, but what is it to say that women can’t partake in it as well?  It is a unique way to raise awareness. And there is not better way to spread awareness than with some hair. The goal of NSN is to be shave-free the entire month. That includes waxing too! NSN allows its participants to embrace the hair, which cancer patients tend to lose. Men grow out their mustaches or beards. Now is the time for ladies to take charge. Have you ever went a month without shaving your underarms? Or your legs? Have you ever wondered what it would be like? Well, now you have a reason to let those leg hairs grow at will.  

Still not convinced? No girl can honestly say that they enjoy shaving everywhere almost everyday. It gets annoying. You have busy schedules. There just isn’t enough time in the day to waste. Shaving your legs and underarm can take 10 minutes. Those are 10 minutes you could have used to sleep. Everyday is a struggle. Not shaving makes it a little less of a struggle. And there really is no need to shave. The cold weather is coming. There is no need to constantly shave those legs or underarms when you won’t be wearing shorts or tanks anymore. Why try to make something presentable when it won’t even being showcased? And if someone sees your underarms or legs, that’s even better. They will know you’re doing it for a good cause. Win-win. You virtually do nothing, just to spread the awareness. Heck, you can even save money from not having to buy shaving supplies. Or better yet, you can donate the money you saved. This should be a lazy person’s dream.

And most importantly, it should feel good to do a good deed. Just like wearing pink in October for Breast Cancer Awareness, this is your chance to spread the awareness. Just like everyone else, you should take it one small step at a time.

Photo Credit: