Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Netflix’s Sex Education Teaches Us More Than High School Sex Ed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Recently, Netflix dropped the second season of its original show Sex Education. Sex Education is about how the son of a sex therapist starts giving sex advice in high school for money with his one friend despite having his own sexual troubles. While this is the main plot of the show, there are many ups and downs filled with drama, love and inevitable high school confusion. 

While the show itself is a dramedy, it calls attention to a topic that should handled seriously– sex education. Most are usually not conscious of basic sex education; probably because they didn’t pay attention in their high school class or just didn’t have any resources available. 

A basic lesson, that should’ve been taught in high school, is to always use a form of birth control when having sex. The student health center on many college campuses have free condoms, so take advantage of that. The pullout method isn’t reliable. If all else fails, most drug stores have the morning after pills, such as Plan-B, for purchase.

The next important step to manage sexual health, is to get tested for STI/STDs. They are real infections and diseases that you need to make sure you are aware of and if needed, take care of for, not just for your health, but your partner’s as well. Places like Planned Parenthood or even your college health center may have the ability to test, possibly for free. Otherwise, testing for such diseases can be covered by insurance most times.

You may think, “Oh I could never get an STI or STD.” But the truth is, it is very easy for sexually transmitted diseases and infections to be spread around. Especially if you don’t prioritize your sexual health. So when having sexual realtions, no matter how you identify, use protection to lessen your chances of getting an STI or STD.

There are also many false myths and narratives that surronud sex. Netflix’s Sex Eduation even shows the mass hysteria that ensures when students think that chlamydia isan airborne disease. The truth, however, is it can only be transferred during sexual intercourse, not by breathing the same air as someone who has it. Another myth is getting an STI from the toilet seat. Remember, not everything you see on TV about sex is real.

Whether or not you choose to have sexual relations, just remember to be safe and aware of the consequences that may occur. Be safe, be smart and don’t be ashamed to go to a doctor for help or advice. 

Sources: 1

Photos 1, 2, 34

Gianna is currently a senior at American University in Washington, D.C., and is majoring in journalism and minoring in political science. She is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at American University. Gianna enjoys writing about Women's Advocacy, Politics and Pop Culture. She also loves to travel and find hole-in-the-wall restaurants in D.C.