This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With finals around the corner, you might find yourself looking at the computer more than usual. This will place a greater strain on your eyes, brain, and even your body. If you know that your five-minute breaks always are extended to 30+ minutes, then try out Microbreaks:

WHAT ARE THEY

BBC writes that they are “any brief activity that helps to break up the monotony of physically or mentally draining tasks.” However, the difference between microbreaks and normal breaks is that microbreaks are around 30 to 60 seconds long. Stanford Unversity suggests that you take microbreaks every 20 to 30 minutes to divide up the longevity of your day. 

EXAMPLES:  Stretching, looking outside your window, standing up, and walking around whatever room you are in

• This is also why one of the three daily rings an Apple Watch user has to hit, is walking/ standing up for one minute for at least 12 hours. 

How can you incorporate them into your daily life?

When you find yourself losing focus on your work, this is your time to take a microbreak. This is similar to when Netflix asks if you are still watching your show. Even though you might not be able to get up during class every 20 minutes, try to include these breaks when you are writing a final paper, cramming for an exam, and especially pulling an all-nighter (which is never recommended!!)

WHY? 

Your brain is tired, your body is exhausted and deadlines for assignments are only getting more intense. These shortened breaks are essentially a refresh and a battery recharge in one. Being three-fourths through the semester is normally where burnout is quite prominent, so any way that gives your eyes a break from the Blue-light is necessary, especially now. 

Your brain and body will thank you for adding microbreaks into your daily routine and sooner than later, your assignments as well. If you were not convinced yet, BBC cites that your productivity will increase and you will be able to concentrate more than if you did not take a break.

Try these out and good luck with your finals!

WHAT ARE THEY?

EXAMPLES:

Stretching, looking outside your window, standing up, and walking around whatever room you are in

This is also why one of the three daily rings an Apple Watch user has to hit, is walking/ standing up for one minute for at least 12 hours.

Your brain and body will thank you for adding microbreaks into your daily routine and sooner than later, your assignments as well. BBC cites that your productivity will increase and you will be able to concentrate more than if you did not take a break. Try these out and see what good microbreaks can do for you!

Camryn Libes

American '21

Hi! I'm Camryn and I am a senior at American University in Washington DC. My interests are mental & physical health, fitness, psychology, and history with the last two being my majors! I hope to help other girls of all ages and be someone relatable or even the older sister I have always wanted to be. (P.S. my profile picture is in Budapest, Hungary)