Lucy Lohrmann ’16: President of AUCR’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Tell me a little bit about yourself! Major, hometown, hobbies?

Of course! I’m Lucy Lohrmann and I am currently a sophomore and an International Studies major in SIS, but I am about 90 percent sure I will be tacking on an International Business minor very soon. I was born and raised in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, which is about 20 minutes west of Manhattan. I’m a Jersey girl through and through, but I am also thankful I grew up so close to the greatest city in the world. Besides politics, my other hobbies and passions include reading, cooking, creative writing, hanging out with friends, visiting museums (secret art history nerd over here), pretending I’m a great singer when catchy songs come on the radio and going on long walks through DC.

What other organizations on campus are you part of?

I made AUCRs my main focus my freshman year, but I am also a proud general member of She’s the First, which if you didn’t know, is an awesome organization which focuses on sending adolescent girls in Uganda to go to school. Be sure to check out the organization!

What are you trying to change in College Republicans?

I’m not really trying to change anything about College Republicans so-to-speak. However, I do acknowledge that I am the first female president of CR’s since 2005, and I was elected President at the end of my freshman year. That being said, I think I bring a new and different perspective to my administration (The Lohrmann Administration, I like that). My main goal as President this year is to bring Republican, conservative and libertarian-leaning speakers and politicians to AU to talk about different issues going on right now. Since we are not in a major election cycle this year, I believe it will be an opportune time for reflection and discussion about issues that face Americans and my generation especially – like the national debt, civil issues and foreign policy to name a few. The Republican Party on a national level is changing and growing in amazing ways we have never seen before and I think it is essential for young people to be part of this process.

What kind of events are you bringing to campus? 

Like I mentioned before, I will bring a lot of speakers who can speak on a wide range of topics. We also will be doing a lot of campaign trips to help Ken Cuccinelli and Chris Christie get elected and re-elected as governors of Virginia and New Jersey, respectively. AUCRs definitely wants to co-sponsor events with other organizations so we continue to actively participate in the AU campus community. My Vice-President Zoe Crain, Special Events and Budget Coordinator Molly Kepner and I also want to put on a panel of successful Republican and conservative women in March for National Women’s Month. Nothing like a little girl power! 

What do you and the members of AUCR’s hope to get away from this year’s experience?

Well first I really hope our new AUCR freshmen and transfer students feel welcomed into AUCRs and will stick with us for the year. In the bigger picture I want every one of our members to understand that they have a significant role in making the Republican Party stronger for the future. Good political change is not going to happen from the bottom-down but instead from the grassroots, where young conservatives are with our social media and our opinionated selves. I hope that every one of our members can find their voice and use AUCRs as a channel to advocate for greater political change that adheres to the Constitution and our founding principles. I understand young conservatives are counter to today’s culture and our opinions are unpopular most of the time. Then again, we can’t expect that everyone is going to like us all of the time, right? I’d much rather my CR members and I stand on principle, even if we are standing alone.

When is the first event?

We are going to the Heritage Foundation to see Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) speak on September 11. Feel free to join us!

Mireille Olivo is a senior at American University studying Public Communication with a minor in health promotion. She is a self-proclaimed southern belle, sunset enthusiast, avid rock climber, Quentin Tarantino fan, and smiler.  When she isn't writing for HCAU, y'all can find her giving tours or strolling alongside the Potomac river. After graduation, Mireille plans on pursuing a career in public relations for the political movement.