A Look at the Celebrity Nude Photo Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The lines of feminine expression are blurred for women when it comes to the murky new age of technology.

By now most people are familiar with the recent scandal involving over 100 celebrities and the leakage of various nude photographs. The list of individuals affected includes big names such as Jennifer Lawrence, Kate Upton and Kirsten Dunst to name a few. While several of the victims have confirmed that the photos are real, other celebs have said the photos of them are fake.

It’s no surprise that an incident like this has garnered wide spread media attention. A good number of the people affected are some of the biggest names in American pop culture right now. But does this incident involving celebrities give it more precedence or is there an overarching concern that we should confront right now?

It’s not clear exactly why these photos were leaked. A couple of reasons come to mind, first being that these victims are all celebrities. There’s no doubt that the image of the celebrity has reached new heights in the last couple of years. Pop stars such as Beyoncé are practically at monarchical status. These individuals seem to possess unattainable, otherworldly qualities. Perhaps in some way, the hackers viewed this as a chance to dethrone these celebrities and to level the playing field between the “us” and “them.”

Secondly, one can’t overlook the fact that the majority of these photos are of women (CNN reports that there was at least one man affected). Which begs the question, is society still so far from body acceptance that the nude female form is still this mystifying entity we gawk at?

This incident goes beyond simply wanting to be shocking. Nor is it that much of a foreign concept. Tons of celebrities, everyday, work extremely hard to be shocking. Take the Miley Cyrus twerking controversy, for example, at the VMAs. Or at the same awards show when half of Lady Gaga’s costume was a seashell bra. And let’s not forget when Kendall Jenner wore that double-slit dress without underwear… People in the public eye try all the time to push the boundaries with personal self-expression or with the exposure of their bodies.

It seems to be that the public has become desensitized to this type of shock value when it is on a public stage and done intentionally. During the recent broadcast of the VMAs on Aug. 24, Beyoncé’s performance consisted of singing with her legs spread in a unitard as well as dancing on a pole all while her daughter and husband looked on. Like the rest of America, Beyoncé’s daughter witnessed several hours of over sexualization, for which her mother was then rewarded for with a trophy.

When compared to the incident in question, it seems almost ironic then, that these women would be scrutinized for intimate photos they took of themselves that were exposed without their permission. On one hand it’s evident that women can’t be sexual without consequences. On the other hand, in Beyoncé’s case her risqué dance moves and sexualized behavior are taken to portray the image of a strong independent woman.

This contrast seems to leave little hope for women. Incidents like this photo scandal perpetuate the notion that women are constantly under attack when it comes to the expression of their bodies. The lines between appropriate and inappropriate sexual expression are blurred, or perhaps even non-existent.

Sharing and engaging with these leaked images may seem to be harmless or possess some level of entertainment value. However, it contributes to the shift away from body acceptance and toward judgment and constant fear. The incident harkens the message that women must be forever vulnerable. It sets the stage for these women to be judged in a public forum, not just for their music or movies, but for their intimate lives and personal choices.

Photos: 12, 3