The Long Distance Relationship Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Valentine’s Day can be hard when you’re in a long distance relationship (LDR) , whether you’re seeing each other for the holiday or not. LDR’s are often expensive, so here are some tips on how to cut down on the cost, while still having a great V-Day.

1. Skip out on big presents – get something sentimental.

Being in an LDR is expensive as it is, so don’t add to the expense by getting each other elaborate gifts. If you have talked about it before, both parties would agree that getting each other little and sometimes “cliche” gifts is okay. Bears or other stuffed animals are always a good idea because they’re a tangible, but inexpensive way to remember your significant other. To make the present more personal, you can spray it with your perfume or scent of choice so that it smells like you (at least for a little).

2. Get them something from your school’s gift shop.

Another unique, but inexpensive present is something that says your school name. Whether it’s a T-shirt or a mug, it can remind them of you everytime they see and use it.

3. Cut down more on a present, by doing easy DIYs that are sentimental.

Valentine’s Day is one of the cheesiest holidays of the year so even if you’re not cheesy, you can have a little pass on this day. Easy gifts to make your significant other can range from a board or jar with things you love about them, to a photo album with your favorite pictures and your own little comments written on them. You may have to do something as extreme as this guy who wrote 365 notes for his girlfriend, but something similar works.  

4. Whoever traveled – gets treated.

The one who paid to travel, whether it was by bus, plane or train, should be exempt from paying that weekend (at least most of the time). Being in an LDR means sacrificing some things, especially money and time, so take a little off them by putting in some of the financial responsibility.

5. Enjoy a nice night just being together – make a picnic in their living room or room.

An easy and inexpensive way to celebrate Valentine’s Day without going overboard is by having a picnic. Though in D.C. and many other places where the weather doesn’t permit a picnic, you have to get creative. Laying down a blanket and having a homemade lunch or dinner is a simple, but romantic way to celebrate. The bonus is that instead of freezing outside, you can sit in a warm room and watch a movie or just talk. Plus, you can still get dressed up, or stay in comfy clothes; whatever you are feeling up to because there is no pressure. Doing this in a dorm room may get a bit more difficult, but since it is a Saturday this year, finding a place on or off campus that is cozy, and warm where you can do this is always an option.

Being apart for this holiday may be hard, but there are a few ways you can still celebrate from a distance.

1. Send a package with essentials so you can share the experience.
Send a small package with some items that you can get two of and both enjoy is an option. Some popcorn, your favorite sweet tea, and a personal-sized meal is a great way to be connected through your dinner while you’re apart. You could eat these things while skyping to enjoy a virtual date.
2. Watch a movie together while on the phone/skyping
Watching movies is a staple in relationship dates. As in “When Harry Met Sally,” movies can be watched together, while apart. You can decide on a movie with your significant other, and then skype or talk on the phone during the movie. This way, you can still be doing the same thing and commenting on your favorite parts or least favorite parts of the movie, while enjoying a classic date night.
3. Send them a love letter.
Yes it is cheesy, and yes it may not make up for the fact that you’re apart, but its something can be put away for awhile and read whenever. Again, it’s a cheesy holiday and love letters can be acceptable and should be easy to write to your significant other (though it may take a little to open up on paper).

And remember…
Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Tulane Chapter Senior at Tulane University Majoring in Psychology, Minoring in Public Health Originally from Fort Myers, Florida