This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

In the past few years, locker room talk is defined as “any manner of private conversation with small groups of like-minded, similarly gendered peers regarding sexually charged language, situations or innuendos”. Thanks to Trump’s infamous ‘pussy grabbing’ speech, most people think locker room talk is only characteristic of the men’s locker room. But, in fact, the women’s locker room talk can be just as hostile and vindictive.  

HUGE DISCLAIMER: women’s locker room talk only exists when the women in question don’t trust or respect each other.

In my experience on several sports teams throughout my life, I have often noticed that locker room talk on the women’s side is a collection of quick glances, text messages, and quiet side conversations about the same people you’re supposed to support. The environment that the women’s locker room can foster is honestly quite terrifying.

Especially in the times of women empowerment and feminism, the women’s locker room should be a safe haven of trust, respect, and support. If I could define locker room talk in the context of the women’s room in a few words I would go with- sneaky, vindictive, backstabbing, and hostile. 

How to fix it:

1. Respect. Show each other you at least respect each other. A simple pat on the back or compliment can go a long way.

2. Confrontation. If you have a problem with each other, sit down, and calmly explain why you are upset. Yelling and screaming doesn’t normally effectively get your message across.

3. Build trust. A simple conversation or group activity can create inside jokes, memories, and adventures you can all eventually bond over. 

The hostile atmosphere doesn’t have to be the constant reality of the women’s locker room. Creating a place that cultivates and supports self-love and friendship is necessary for a successful sports team.

Sources: 1

Hannah Andress

American '21

Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American. Currently an undergraduate student at American University involved in the Global Scholars program studying International Studies and Arabic. Preferred gender pronouns are she/her/hers. Her interests include national security, women in politics, international human and civil rights, and creating an impact that is long-lasting and sustainable.