This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Karlee Zolman 

Women’s History Month is celebrated every March to honor women’s contributions to American history.

This month also happens to be the month that my mother, Stacy Zolman, was born: the woman who I owe my life’s history to. 

The importance of mothers is held close to many and can only be amplified during women’s history month. They can teach valuable lessons while being a best friend, a shoulder to cry on, and some of the most resilient people in this world.  

This can be said for my mother, and here are a few examples of things that she has instilled in me throughout the years. 

1. Always give what you can 

My mom loves to shop, but something I have not forgotten is that she always gives.

Every Christmas she stocks up on Costco toys and drops them off for children in need. We often refer to her as Mrs.Clause, every food drive is one she will contribute to and she is one of the best gift-givers that I have ever met. 

I have taken up her habits for better and worse. I spend… a bit too much, but also always try to give. 

Give what you can when you have it. The smiles that you will receive are more than worth the money that leaves your pockets. 

1. Tomorrow is a new day 

Everyone handles stress in unique ways, but we sometimes forget that tomorrow always brings a new day. 

When I get overwhelmed and feel like the world is crumbling, my mom always reassures me that tomorrow is a new day and that the anxiety will fade. When I want to give up she tells me that things will get better and to give it time. 

Although I dont love to listen to her, she is right. Every day brings a new start and a new opportunity to be happy. 

1. Take time to make yourself happy 

Constant texts asking if I made time for myself get a bit repetitive, but help me to be aware of the things that I do to make myself happy. 

Stacy is quite the soap opera buff and will drop everything to get her daily dose of drama. She may not see this as influential, but every time I see her in her little spot on the couch, I am reminded that we must take time to do the things that make us happy. 

Each day you must take time to do something that brings you joy, even if it is drama filled television shows. 

1. You receive the energy you put into the world 

As one of the most loving and outgoing people I know, I constantly see the world giving my mother the same energy that she puts out. 

She attracts people like a magnet. At this point, she is a local celebrity. 

Always put your positive energy into the world and you will receive it back. 

I am forever grateful for everything that my mother has taught me, the most valuable lessons are the ones that she doesn’t even realize she is teaching. 

To my mother, my forever best friend, thank you for everything. 

What have you learned from the women in your life? 

Karlee Zolman

American '24

Karlee (she/her) is a fourth year student at American University, majoring in Journalism. This is Karlee's third year writing for Her Campus and first year as AU's print co-editor. In her free time, Karlee enjoys writing, dancing and going to concerts in DC!