A Letter To My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Dear freshman year self, 

I wanted to write and give you a little advice as I will be graduating in a couple weeks and I’ve learned a lot these past four years. I know you’re upset right now because you’re not in Oxford and you miss everyone there a lot but don’t worry things are going to get better. First, I know you appreciate your UMass friends but please realize how much of your complaining they have listened to this year about how much you wish you were somewhere else. They’re great people and you should appreciate the time you have with them before it’s time to leave and you realize how much you miss them once you get to DC.

You’ll get to American for sophomore year and it’s not going to be easy but you’re going to meet some more great people who are going through the same things you are. Transferring isn’t easy for anyone so you’ll come to really appreciate the new friends you’ve made. Don’t freak out too much about your grades, they will drastically improve by the end of sophomore year when you’ve finally figured out how AU works. My best advice to you and any other transfer students is make the most of your situtation because things do improve, I promise.

Brace yourself for junior year, it’s like junior year of high school only worse. In high school people were worried about college, in college they’re worried about their lives. Try not to get caught up in all the stress, I know it’s kind of unavoidable but the less you get involved the better. You have enough to worry about with your classes, grades, papers, and working to get an internship for the summer. It all seems crazy but remember you’ve got friends and family supporting you the whole way. Also, know that senior year is stressful but it’s definitely not as bad.

By the way, you get the ELLE internship and have a really cool summer in New York. The girls you intern with are cool, just give it a little time: putting together the September issue isn’t fun for anyone, it’s just a lot of craziness.

Finally senior year. The most important part of this year is to enjoy every minute because it goes by very fast. A lot is going to happen this year as friends start leaving DC to begin real life and it’s hard but it will be ok. The semester isn’t actually over yet so I can’t tell you things ultimately end but I can say that after everything you’ve been through since graduating high school, going to Oxford, and making it through college you’re pretty well prepared for the real world.

Sincerely,

Your senior year self who hopes this letter helps

Photo Credits: 1, 2

Senior at American University, lover of all things: fashion, fun, and entertaining