Last Minute Valentines Day Brunch Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With Valentine’s Day tomorrow, it’s definitely time to start thinking about the perfect treat to make that will be sure to impress anyone. Instead of making the classic Valentine’s Day cookies or buying chocolates, try this recipe for buttermilk biscuits with strawberry butter to serve for brunch. Homemade biscuits may sound intimidating, but this recipe is fool-proof and perfect for anyone looking for a last-minute unique treat to serve for their significant other (or friends!) on the year’s most romantic day.

Biscuits

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur Flour)

1 tablespoon granulated sugar (add more or less depending on how sweet or savory you want them to be, but I wouldn’t add any more than 1 1/2 tablespoons)

1 tablespoon baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

9 tablespoons chilled salted butter*, cut into small cubes (If you’re using unsalted butter, add 3/4 teaspoon of salt to the dry ingredients)

3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400° and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper

Measure out the flour and add the sugar, baking powder, and baking soda to the flour and sift this into a large bowl. (I always recommend sifting the dry ingredients together when there is baking soda involved, just to be sure everything is incorporated and there won’t be little bits of baking soda in the batter.) Add the cubes of butter to the flour mixture and using your fingers, work the butter in until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute) and stir until large clumps form. Use your hands to knead the mixture together just until it holds together.

To form the biscuit rounds: Transfer dough to floured counter and pat out until 1/2 inch thick. Use a round cutter (you can use a round cookie cutter or biscuit round.) Transfer rounds to your prepared baking sheet and space them about two inches apart. 

Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.

Strawberry Butter

I’m not a huge fan of measuring, so for the jam, be sure you add that to taste. If you want it to be super strawberry infused, add a lot. If you want just a hint of strawberry, add less.  Also, this makes enough butter to fill a small bowl but you can adapt this recipe to your needs.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter at room temperature

Strawberry preserves: this is where you can add in as much or as little as you like. I added a few spoonfuls but I don’t have an exact measurement for how much I used. Just keep adding it bit by bit until you think it’s enough!

Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, add the butter and whisk on medium/high until the butter is a creamy/whipped consistency. Then, add the strawberry preserves and continue to mix until combined. Empty your strawberry butter into a small bowl and you’re good to go!

Photo Credits:

Miranda Batch

http://foodimentaryguy.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/buttermilkbiscuit.jpg

http://thekitchensinkrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/sbutter1.jpg