Know Your Rights: Your Students Rights Project Lowdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As an organization Her Campus American cares about the rights of students and their voices on issues across campus. The American University Student Government on Tuesday released a change.org petition to create a new university policy to clarify and protect student rights across campus. “Students Rights: From the Classroom to the Quad” was also released, which outlines research as well as recommendations via the Student Government’s Student Rights Project Team.

We wanted to learn more about this campaign and how it will effect the student body. The AU Student Government Director of Student Rights, Samantha Turetsky, said the petition is “a way to raise awareness and gather student support to show the Administration that students want to have a discussion about student rights policy and see the formation of such policy.” She explained that American students need a “codified and simplified policy” to help ensure every student knows their rights and responsibilities on campus. 

After reading the report we noted the statement that “American University has made a strong commitment to various student rights, and students are fully aware of that commitment. However, these rights are not explicitly stated in one simple document that students can easily comprehend.” The aim of the project is to advocate for beneficial policies, high caliber programs, and ensuring that students are provided with appropriate resources and services throughout their years at American University. 

The hard work and dedication of the release of this report can be attributed to the Student Rights Task Force:

·      Samantha Turetsky, Director of Student Rights, who chairs the Task Force

·      Nicole Bubnoski, Deputy Director of Student Rights

·      Fiona Erickson, Director of Student Voice

·      Adam Garrett, Director of the Student Advocacy Center

·      Patrick Kelly, President

·      Joe Ste.Marie, Director of Academics and University Affairs

So collegiettes, what do you think about the purposed changes? Do you think this report is a step in the right direction to clarify our student rights? Read the report for yourself and let us know your opinions on the possible addition of a new student rights policy. Feel free to contact Sarah Preston, Press Secretary via her e-mail (press@ausg.org) for any further questions.

Image source: American University Student Government

Born and raised in Princeton, New Jersey, Claire Shriver is a Public Communication major and Marketing minor at American University in Washington, DC. She is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus American, Vice President of Communication for AU Social Media Club and an AU Ambassador. This past summer she interned in the Features Department at Marie Claire magazine and has a passion for travel, magazines, and film photography. Kristen Wiig makes Claire cry with laughter and Adele makes her swoon.