Kesha’s Legal Battle With Her Producer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

When Kesha (formerly known as Ke$ha) first hit the music scene, she was on top of the world. Everyone was dancing to her songs in clubs, she was constantly on the radio and everyone was waiting to see what crazy antics she’d get into. But then, all of a sudden, it was like she drifted away. After the release of Timber we never saw much of her.

It was then announced by multiple sources that Kesha was starting out 2014 by checking herself into a rehab facility for an eating disorder. After spending two months out of the limelight, she came back bigger and better than ever. Of her time in rehab, Kesha said, “I was there for two months in total, and during that time I began to feel a shift in my mentality and really started to understand my own self-worth…I could focus on my music and my happiness and not what I looked like.”

It seemed that everything was finally going right for her. But, on October 14, 2014, the singer filed a lawsuit against her doctor of 10 years, Dr. Luke (Lukas Gottwald), claiming that he “sexually, verbally, and emotionally abused her,” stating that she felt her life was “at risk.” In one particular instance, Kesha claims that Dr. Luke forced her to snort an illegal substance on a plane and proceeded to force himself onto her. On a separate occasion, Dr. Luke allegedly gave Kesha “sober pills”—these pills turned out to be GHB, and the next morning, Kesha woke up in her producer’s bed feeling sore and without any recollection of what happened the night before. Kesha also cited many different instances of mental and verbal abuse, which she claims is what set her over the edge and prompted her to check herself into rehab. In the lawsuit, Kesha is asking to be released from her contract with Dr. Luke, and her attorney says that this is “a wholehearted effort by Kesha to regain control of her music career and her personal freedom after suffering for ten years as a victim of mental manipulation, emotional abuse and sexual assault at the hands of Dr. Luke.”

However, Dr. Luke is not going down without a fight. The producer decided to file a lawsuit against Kesha—alleging defamation and breach of contract. His rep states that the allegations made against Dr. Luke are completely false and inaccurate.

This looks like it’s going to be a brutal battle between Kesha and Dr. Luke. Until more details are released, it’s hard to determine just how this will play out in court; some believe Kesha is doing this for the publicity, while others think that these claims are truthful and Kesha is working hard to overcome deeply personal issues. It seems that only time will tell what the outcome of this case will be. 

Photo credits: urbansplatter.com