This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Kenzie Phillips is a sophomore at American University, graduating with the class of 2018.  

Her Campus American: What is your major/minor?

Kenzie Phillips: My major is Public Relations and Strategic Communications. It’s great because it is one of the only majors that gives you a PR skill set. I have two minors, Psychology and International Studies.

HCAU: Where are you from?

KP: I am from Bellmont, about 20 minutes south of San Francisco.

HCAU: What organizations are you involved in on campus?

KP: Dime a dozen, I am the business manager which means I handle all outside communications. This is my third semester in it, and I love the people! This semester I was inducted into the national honors fraternity Phi Sigma Pi. I really love it an I am so glad that I rushed this semester!  

HCAU: Can you tell me about your current job?

KP: I am a nanny for an 11-month-old who I love so much. I have been working with him since the beginning of the semester, and it has been great to watch him go through developmental stages. I am a nanny five days a week.     

HCAU: When/Why did you join Dime a Dozen? How would you describe your experience in this group?

KP: I have sung my whole life, and it brings me so much joy, so I knew I wanted to continue with it in college. I had a lot of choral experience, so I auditioned for Dime and was so lucky to have gotten in. It’s a huge time commitment, but it’s definitely worthwhile for me.  

HCAU: How do you like being in a fraternity so far?

KP: I just joined it, but essentially it is the national honors fraternity, but basically it is centered on leadership, fellowship and shcholarship, the “tripod”. It is a way to meet great people and make close friends, which is a great support system to help you with academics. I think all greek life can be beneficial, but I didn’t really see myself enjoying social greek life. I really like being in the more diverse environment with so many perspectives held by interesting men and women in the fraternity. I felt a great connection to the people in PSP and I think I made the right choice by deciding to rush a non-social fraternity.  

HCAU: What did you do for Thanksgiving break?

KP: So because I’m from California, myself and my family decided that going home would be too much, so I spent the break in Ft. Lauderdale, visiting some of my family. This was okay because I get to go home in just two weeks. I mostly spent time with my family and went shopping (not black Friday, just to be clear). It was great to see family that I don’t get to see very often. 

HCAU: What is it like being a vegetarian on Thanksgiving?

KP: (giggles) So, to be fair, I have never loved Thanksgiving food, even before I was a vegetarian. It’s what you make of it-I just dont feel a compulsion to eat meat. But besides getting snarky comments from people here and there, it is really not bad. I get to eat a lot of great desserts!

HCAU: What is your go-to restaurant to eat at in the DC area?

KP: I love food sooooo much! I really don’t feel like I have a go-to restaurant, but I eat a lot of Japanese and Ethiopian food, and I like trying new places each time.  Ethiopian food is so hard to find outside of DC, but it is great because it is very vegetarian friendly 

HCAU: Can you tell me something that not many people know about you?

KP: I am double-jointed in my elbows-they hyper-extend!

HCAU: If your had to pick one, would you choose Adele’s 25, Justin Bieber’s Purpose or One Direction’s Made in the A.M.?

KP: Adele’s 25 in a heartbeat! I have been listening to that album straight for a week. She is beautiful and amazing. As a singer it is really important to keep up with popular music. Though suprisingly I have really liked a few of Justin Bieber’s songs off his album as well! And of course I have a soft spot in my heart for One Direction too!    

Photo Credits courtesy of AU student photographer Matthew Stebenne 

Shannon is the former Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus American University. She is a Psychology major and is also a senior on the varsity swim team.